What needed on server to run Mobile Web application?? RRS feed

• Question

• User1989204087 posted

Hi everyone,

I really need your help as I am confused what needed to install on server or production server to run Mobile web application.

I have these installed in Production server:

1. Windows OS 2000 or Above and IIs

2. DotNetframework v1.1

3. Asp.net v1.0 or v1.1

Questions:

a. )Do I need to install this MMIT on the server or production server??

This one really confused me : MMIT (Microsoft Mobile internet toolkit), I have this installed on my Desktop computer for mobile web development But I am not sure if it is needed on production server to run Mobile web?

b) Do I need to install Device Update V4.0 0n production server to ensure all mark up languages are proprely rendered? understand DeviceUpdate V4.0 for xhtml-Base Mobile browser. will this DU 4.0 will cover wml, html and chtml rendering?

c) Can DeviceUpdate V4.0 works with Asp.net V1.0?

Please help. Your help is much appreciated.

Tuesday, April 26, 2005 11:43 PM

All replies

• User-95607119 posted

a. )Do I need to install this MMIT on the server or production server??

No need for MMIT if you have .Net 1.1 installed.

This one really confused me : MMIT (Microsoft Mobile internet toolkit), I have this installed on my Desktop computer for mobile web development But I am not sure if it is needed on production server to run Mobile web?

MMIT is required if you are using .NET 1.0.

b) Do I need to install Device Update V4.0 0n production server to ensure all mark up languages are proprely rendered? understand DeviceUpdate V4.0 for xhtml-Base Mobile browser. will this DU 4.0 will cover wml, html and chtml rendering?

It is always good to have latest version of device update. I'm not very sure what updates came with DU4.0 but XHTML should be there starting from 2.0 or 3.0.

Wednesday, April 27, 2005 2:32 AM
  • User1989204087 posted

Hi, Thank for your speedy reply. More or less, I am clear on what required on the production server. Nontheless, I had read some articles from Microsoft website which really confused me the role that MMIT plays on .NetFramework.  The article says something like this:

MMIT extends the power of .NetFramework and Asp.Net, MMIT icncludes Browser Cap and make changes on Machine.Config to detect the Mobile device capabilities. It has server-side technology......

Now My question is : What MMIT does on the server-side on server computer? Is Asp.net runtime does the mobile device detection or MMIT?

Is this true that only : IIS, .Net V1.1 and Asp.Net are required to run  the mobile Web on the server-side?

Net V1.1 has asp.net mobile and mobile control runtime, to detect the mobile browser will be the job for Asp.net runtime. Is this right?

So, why the article mentions that MMIT extends the power of .Net and Asp.Net? MMIT is just a Mobile development tool, right? There is no such MMIT or MIT component included inside .NetFramework when run the mobile web.Is MIT packaged inside the mobile web's DLL file in bin?

I have internal error code :500 

This leads me to think the server unable to render mark up for xhtml-base browser.

Now, this  DeviceUpdate V4.0.

After installing it, it will make changes on Machine.Config file? If Mobile web's web.Config does not contain info required in <browserCap>, it will search manchine.Config?

Is this means ASP.Net Runtime gets the info from it as to what mark up for the requesting mobile Browser after receiving http request?

Thanks. As I understand there are many types of Mobile phone with diffrerent types of Microbrowsers such as wml, xhtml, html, chtml.

How to ensure ASp.net will render all the above markup language correctly?

1. Is DeviceUpdate V4.0 is goog enough.

Wednesday, April 27, 2005 5:31 AM