Need help with manually ordering rows RRS feed

• Question

• I have a table of timesheet line items. 

seqno, Employee, timesheetID, timeIn,TimeOut,LunchIn,LunchOut

I have added this to a screen as a datagrid but need the ability to manually sort the rows, ie move a record up or down.

I have the buttons created on the command bar and the following code setup. This works to a degree. I have 2 issues with it.

1) The sort itself does not change until after a save and refresh. Can anything be done with this?

2) If I try to move a record past the last record (>Max of SeqNo) or before the first (< 1) I get errors. How can I add a clause to check for the min/max values of a column in the if statement so the code doesn't run.

partial void MoveUp_Execute()
            {
                // Moves the record up a row
                var selected = this.TimeSheetLines.SelectedItem;
                if (selected != null)
                {
                    var upStep = this.TimeSheetLines.First(r => r.SeqNo == (selected.SeqNo - 1));
                    upStep.SeqNo = selected.SeqNo;
                    selected.SeqNo = selected.SeqNo - 1;
                }
            }

partial void MoveDown_Execute()
            {
                // Moves the selected record down a row
                if (selected != null)
                {
                    var upStep = this.TimeSheetLines.First(r => r.SeqNo == (selected.SeqNo + 1));
                    selected.SeqNo = selected.SeqNo + 1;
                }
            }

If someone has a better idea on how to get this down, please I am all ears. To be fair I am just getting started with Lightswitch and C#.

Thanks for any help

Josh

Thursday, March 14, 2013 2:59 PM

Answers

• Hello

I personally would add some code to the _CanExecute of each button that checks the current position of the selected row then based on this make the button available or not. So, for example, for your MoveUp button I would do something like.....

partial void_MoveUp_CanExecute(ref bool result)
    {
         bool canMove = false;
         if(this.TimeSheetLines.SelectedItem != null){
               if(this.TimeSheetLines.SelectedItem.SeqNo !=1)
               {
                  canMove = true;
               }
         }
         result = canMove;
    }

You would then just do something similar to the MoveDown button but instead of making sure that it is not equal to 1 you would be making sure that it is not equal to the last seqno available.

As for the not showing the move until a save and refresh, why not do the save within the button action itself? If there are no other things on the page to save then just add this.Save(); and this.Refresh(); after you have updated the SeqNo.

If you found this post helpful, please mark it as helpful. If by some chance I answered the question, please mark the question as answered. That way you will help more people like me :)

• Proposed as answer by Otis Ranger Monday, March 18, 2013 5:08 PM
    • Marked as answer by JoshWilliam Monday, March 18, 2013 6:40 PM
    Friday, March 15, 2013 4:42 PM

All replies

• Hello

I personally would add some code to the _CanExecute of each button that checks the current position of the selected row then based on this make the button available or not. So, for example, for your MoveUp button I would do something like.....

partial void_MoveUp_CanExecute(ref bool result)
    {
         bool canMove = false;
         if(this.TimeSheetLines.SelectedItem != null){
               if(this.TimeSheetLines.SelectedItem.SeqNo !=1)
               {
                  canMove = true;
               }
         }
         result = canMove;
    }

You would then just do something similar to the MoveDown button but instead of making sure that it is not equal to 1 you would be making sure that it is not equal to the last seqno available.

As for the not showing the move until a save and refresh, why not do the save within the button action itself? If there are no other things on the page to save then just add this.Save(); and this.Refresh(); after you have updated the SeqNo.

If you found this post helpful, please mark it as helpful. If by some chance I answered the question, please mark the question as answered. That way you will help more people like me :)

• Proposed as answer by Otis Ranger Monday, March 18, 2013 5:08 PM
    • Marked as answer by JoshWilliam Monday, March 18, 2013 6:40 PM
    Friday, March 15, 2013 4:42 PM
  • Otis,

Thanks for the reply. I've made some good headway and can now order my records on insert, default my values, etc. I have one last hurdle, and maybe someone can point me in the right direction. I would really like to keep the functionality of being able to tab to a new record and default values but the code only executes when I use the add button I have. When tabbing to a new row I get nothing. Where am I going wrong? Here is the code I currently have.

partial void TimeSheetLines_Changed(NotifyCollectionChangedEventArgs e)
            {
                this.TotalTimeSheetHours = this.TimeSheetLines.Sum((x) => x.Hours);
                if (this.TimeSheetLines.SelectedItem != null && this.TimeSheetLines.SelectedItem.Employee != null && this.TimeSheetLines.SelectedItem.EmployeeClassRate == null)
                {
                    this.TimeSheetLines.SelectedItem.EmployeeClassRate = this.TimeSheetLines.SelectedItem.Employee.classRate.ClassCode;
                }
            }

partial void TimeSheetLines_SelectionChanged()
            {
                this.TotalTimeSheetHours = this.TimeSheetLines.Sum((x) => x.Hours);
                if (this.TimeSheetLines.SelectedItem != null && this.TimeSheetLines.SelectedItem.Employee != null &&this.TimeSheetLines.SelectedItem.EmployeeClassRate == null)
                {
                    this.TimeSheetLines.SelectedItem.EmployeeClassRate = this.TimeSheetLines.SelectedItem.Employee.classRate.ClassCode;
                }

}

partial void MoveUp_Execute()
            {
                // Moves the record up a row
                if (selected != null && selected.SeqNo != 1)
                {
                    var upStep = this.TimeSheetLines.First(r => r.SeqNo == (selected.SeqNo - 1));
                    selected.SeqNo = selected.SeqNo - 1;
                }
            }

partial void MoveDown_Execute()
            {
                // Moves the selected record down a row
                int maxlist = this.TimeSheetLines.Count;
                if (selected != null && selected.SeqNo != maxlist)
                {
                    var upStep = this.TimeSheetLines.First(r => r.SeqNo == (selected.SeqNo + 1));
                    selected.SeqNo = selected.SeqNo + 1;
                }

}

partial void AddLine_Execute()
            {
                // Write your code here.
                this.TimeSheetLines.AddNew();
                this.TimeSheetLines.SelectedItem.SeqNo = this.TimeSheetLines.Count;
                this.TimeSheetLines.SelectedItem.EmployeeClassRate = this.TimeSheet.SelectedItem.classRate.ClassCode;

}

Thanks for everyone's help here!

Josh

Saturday, March 16, 2013 3:34 AM
  • You could disable that behaviour using 'Show Add-new Row' in the Data Grid properties or try to manipulate:

partial void TimeSheetLines_Changed(System.Collections.Specialized.NotifyCollectionChangedEventArgs e)
            {
                if (e.NewItems != null)
                {
                    //this.ShowMessageBox(e.NewItems.Count.ToString());
                    var n = e.NewItems.Count;
                }
            }

I am wary of the effect code placed in here may have on the Data Grid behaviour if you alter the UI or manipulate the visual collection. You can give it a try.

The simpler method may be the best!

Dave Baker | Xpert360 blog | twitter : @xpert360 Opinions are my own. Please mark as answer if this helps solve your problem.

• Edited by Xpert360 Saturday, March 16, 2013 10:08 AM
    • Marked as answer by JoshWilliam Monday, March 18, 2013 6:39 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by JoshWilliam Monday, March 18, 2013 6:40 PM
    Saturday, March 16, 2013 10:07 AM
  • Josh

I'm glad that my post helped and I feel that it answered your original question. Seeing as you have re-asked your next question elsewhere (New Line Defaults from Parent in DataGrid) would you mark this one as answered please?
    I would also recommend @Yann's answer for your question by following his answer on Propagate Values from Master to Detail records.

Monday, March 18, 2013 5:14 PM