none
Custom Search Functionality as an Outlook Add-In RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I'm trying to build an Outlook Add-In which will search archived emails from an external source (a REST API) and show the search results in the Outlook's "Folder Contents/View" pane.. 

So here follows my question:

Is it possible to hook "Instant Search" queries and get the searched text, do an outgoing REST call, and put the results in the "Folder Contents/View" pane as if it was an built-in instant search?

I'm not sure but I feel this can be achieved by saving REST Call Search results as MailItems in Inbox with some UserDefinedProperties and doing a filter on Inbox with this UserDefinedProperty.

I'll be really glad to get any recommendations on this requirement. We just don't want to change users' experience in terms of search functionality.

Thanks and best regards,

karanlik.

Thursday, May 23, 2013 11:06 AM

Answers

• There are no hooks to the Instant Search dialog in the Outlook object model. Windows search can be automated, but I don't think that applies in the context of Outlook.

You could create a grid control on a form and overlay that over the normal Outlook window, but that's a hack. You can see some information on that sort of thing at http://blogs.msdn.com/b/stephen_griffin/archive/2010/06/01/adjacent-windows-in-outlook.aspx.

If you were to retrieve items from online REST queries and create items from the query results in a specific folder it could work but it could also take forever. It also would change the user experience in that folder from the normal Outlook experience of course. If there were say 1500 items to create in the folder it would block Outlook for a long time while doing so, perhaps many minutes or more.

--
    Ken Slovak
    [MVP-Outlook]
    http://www.slovaktech.com
    Author: Professional Programming Outlook 2007
    "karanlik" <=?utf-8?B?a2FyYW5saWs=?=> wrote in message news:0dbd3349-e7b0-4c10-9179-214b384b69ec...

Hi All,

I'm trying to build an Outlook Add-In which will search archived emails from an external source (a REST API) and show the search results in the Outlook's "Folder Contents/View" pane.. 

So here follows my question:

Is it possible to hook "Instant Search" queries and get the searched text, do an outgoing REST call, and put the results in the "Folder Contents/View" pane as if it was an built-in instant search?

I'm not sure but I feel this can be achieved by saving REST Call Search results as MailItems in Inbox with some UserDefinedProperties and doing a filter on Inbox with this UserDefinedProperty.

I'll be really glad to get any recommendations on this requirement. We just don't want to change users' experience in terms of search functionality.

Thanks and best regards,

karanlik.

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook
    Thursday, May 23, 2013 3:16 PM