Deployment of Lightswitch application fails - as one would expect RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

i'm trying to do:

application type: Desktop

applicatin server configuration: IIS, Web Installer 4.6 installed on the server lightswitch in vs 2012 - server configuration with local SQL Express is installed

Option: remotely publish to server now, options: service url (what service is meant here???). I used http://fe0vmc0493

Site:Default Web Site/CSR Administration

User Name (what kind of user nmame is meant here???): my windows domain user name (without domain - it doesn't tell you if domain is required). this user IS Administrator of the server fe0vmc0493

What does "Ther server needs to have the web deployment service installed and configured" mean here? Intalled: OK. Configured: TO WHAT WHAT?? And how??

Require Secure Connection (HTTPS): Off

Specify the user connection (yet another miracle which user should connect to which of the many databases???). I did enter a valid database connection not having any glue if this is the right DB some user connects to

Publish database schema (what this is):  yet another DB connection string I have not glue what it is meant for.

Create Database Login: i created some login (by the way: it is LOGON not Login). Having no idea what this Logon is connecting to

Application Administrator: Yes. Provide my user name not knowing if this meant to be like this.

Other connection Information: levt as taken from the application

Spcify a certificate: Not checked.

Click publish:

Error    1    Web deployment task failed. ((08.09.2013 22:06:33) An error occurred when the request was processed on the remote computer.)

(08.09.2013 22:06:33) An error occurred when the request was processed on the remote computer.
    The entry type 'Unknown' was not expected at this time. The serialization stream may be corrupted.    C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft\VisualStudio\v11.0\Web\Microsoft.Web.Publishing.targets    4193    6    CSRAdmin

OK. This Wizard is definitely the worst that Microsoft has ever done and will ever do. Not only are the terms being used unclear and confusing. Also: it does not not work and gives a nonsense error message.

OMG!! What a mess. And don't tell me "you can google for it. the reason why the make billions is beacause some people at MS dare to publish such a B.A.D. tool.

Sunday, September 8, 2013 8:11 PM

All replies

• First of all, all this cursing will take you nowhere. I don't feel comforable with it and I'm sure there must be some forum rules you are not respecting.

Second, Microsoft products are great, and most of the times is OUR fault (us developers, managers, IT pros, etc.), becuse we don't take the time to read or learn how things must me done. There is PLENTY of documentation across Microsoft sites, plus courses, videos, and tutorials. Not to mention the community around the globe.

You can find a great deployment guide for all the possible LightSwitch architectures here http://blogs.msdn.com/b/bethmassi/archive/2011/03/23/deployment-guide-how-to-configure-a-web-server-to-host-lightswitch-applications.aspx. It's for the previous versión but still applies.

I suggest you start over and check all the pre-requisites.

Goog luck.

Sunday, September 8, 2013 11:01 PM
  • Hallo Hansjörg,

ich kann Dich so gut verstehen! mir geht's genauso, einmal klappt das deploy'n einmal wieder nicht.

I assume you are german, is it OK for you to communicate in german?

regards

OlimilO

Monday, September 9, 2013 2:59 AM
  • Hello,

1.) the linked instructions are outdated. They match only for visual studio 2011. But the linked prerequisites are not available an more.

2.) Your post doesn't solve the problem at all. I unmarked it as answer.

3.) If never said that MS products are bad in general. but this wizard is simply bad.

Hansjörg

Monday, September 9, 2013 7:52 AM
  • Hello,

after having calmed down I managed to deploy the app directly running the deployment wizard on the server.

But I feel the Wizard really needs to be pollished. It is not obvious what the inputs are good for.

Hansjörg

Monday, September 9, 2013 9:36 AM
  • 2.) Your post doesn't solve the problem at all. I unmarked it as answer.

I am the one who proposed it as an answer.

Unleash the Power - Get the LightSwitch HTML Client book

http://LightSwitchHelpWebsite.com

Monday, September 9, 2013 12:16 PM

Thank you, Michael.
    Monday, September 9, 2013 1:38 PM

Thank you, Michael.

The reason I proposed it as an answer is that the publishing wizard changes throughout the year because they keep making enhancements to it for things like Azure and SharePoint.

So Beth's article (http://blogs.msdn.com/b/bethmassi/archive/2011/03/23/deployment-guide-how-to-configure-a-web-server-to-host-lightswitch-applications.aspx) is what people should look at even if it no longer matches the screens exactly. The core of what she covers is still valid.

Monday, September 9, 2013 1:51 PM
  • Hansjörg

Please refrain from posting in this forum if you can't refrain from using profanity. No one will help you and you will be banned from posting in the future. I have edited your post. I understand your frustration but people should not be subjected to such language.

Please make sure you thoroughly read our documentation on MSDN. This will walk you through what each of the inputs mean. You will also find helpful posts on our team blog, and training videos on the developer center.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/vstudio/gg481778.aspx

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/lightswitch/archive/tags/deployment/

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/vstudio/gg604823

If you are still having trouble, please review this post:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/lightswitch/archive/2011/09/20/diagnosing-problems-in-a-deployed-lightswitch-application-eric-erhardt.aspx

In your case, it looks like there was a problem with WebDeploy (a standard IIS web deployment technology that the publish wizard uses) not being able to communicate with your server correctly. Therefore you should make sure you configured your server first (or have a network admin help you). You can use the Web Platform installer to set up the LightSwitch configuration by installing the pre-req package. This is also detailed in the documentation.

HTH,
    -Beth

Senior Program Manager, Visual Studio Community http://www.bethmassi.com http://msdn.com/lightswitch http://dev.office.com

Monday, September 9, 2013 6:44 PM
  • Hello,

sorry for using the wrong words to express my problem. Thanks for editing.

I created a deployment package and copied it to the server. This didn't work. Same error message. So it is not a network problem but a problem between Visual Studio 2012 Premium, Windows Server with IIS 7, the WebDeploy tool and the Web Plaftform installer. All Micrsoft prodcuts.

How could an article entitled "Diagnosing Problems in a Deployed 3-Tier LightSwitch Application" help if i can not deploy my solution? I did read the other documentation. But that wouldn't help me as the error occurs anyway and there is not help about the error.

So far none of the answers I got, including yours - in these forums or even by paid MS support, - helped me to solve my Lightswitch issues.

But this discussion is going to take us nowehere. I'll be still using Lightswitch as it is a great tool with huge productivity benefits compared to any other development tool that I know.

Hansjörg

Tuesday, September 10, 2013 7:15 AM
  • Hello,

tried some other options. Details below. all fails (with various erros)

Result: i'm still not able to deploy to a productive IIS website.

1.) Use the IIS deployment import wizard on previously create deployment package. That seems broken and I think this is a know issues (used Google finding http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/ba553dc8-a01f-40fd-bcd7-6d6b73519252/deployment-error-provider-not-found - which i actually did not really understand)

[Window Title]
    Import Application Package

[Main Instruction]
    An error occurred when performing this operation.

Details:    

The provider 'LightSwitchApplication' could not be found.  Learn more at: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=221672#ERROR_PROVIDER_NOT_FOUND.

[Expanded Information]
    Microsoft.Web.Deployment.DeploymentDetailedException ---> System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> Microsoft.Web.Deployment.DeploymentDetailedClientServerException: The provider 'LightSwitchApplication' could not be found.  Learn more at: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=221672#ERROR_PROVIDER_NOT_FOUND.
       at Microsoft.Web.Deployment.DeploymentProviderSettingCollection..ctor(String factoryName)
       at Microsoft.Web.Deployment.DeploymentProviderOptions..ctor(String factoryName)
       at Microsoft.Web.Deployment.DeploymentProviderOptions..ctor(SerializationInfo info, StreamingContext context)
       --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
       at System.RuntimeMethodHandle._SerializationInvoke(Object target, SignatureStruct& declaringTypeSig, SerializationInfo info, StreamingContext context)
       at System.Runtime.Serialization.ObjectManager.CompleteISerializableObject(Object obj, SerializationInfo info, StreamingContext context)
       at System.Runtime.Serialization.ObjectManager.FixupSpecialObject(ObjectHolder holder)
       at System.Runtime.Serialization.ObjectManager.DoFixups()
       at System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary.ObjectReader.Deserialize(HeaderHandler handler, __BinaryParser serParser, Boolean fCheck, Boolean isCrossAppDomain, IMethodCallMessage methodCallMessage)
       at System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary.BinaryFormatter.Deserialize(Stream serializationStream, HeaderHandler handler, Boolean fCheck, Boolean isCrossAppDomain, IMethodCallMessage methodCallMessage)
       at System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary.BinaryFormatter.Deserialize(Stream serializationStream, HeaderHandler handler, Boolean fCheck, IMethodCallMessage methodCallMessage)
       at Microsoft.Web.Deployment.Base64EncodingHelper.DeserializeHelper(BinaryFormatter formatter, Byte[] buffer, Object& outputObject, UInt32 maxSize)
       at Microsoft.Web.Deployment.Base64EncodingHelper.Deserialize(String str, Object& outputObject, Exception& handledException, UInt32 maxSize)
       at Microsoft.Web.Deployment.Base64EncodingHelper.Deserialize(String str, Object& outputObject, Exception& handledException, UInt32 maxSize)
       at Microsoft.Web.Deployment.SerializationHelper.Deserialize(String str, Boolean& success, UInt32 maxSize)
       at Microsoft.Web.Deployment.ArchiveElementHelper.get_ProviderContext()
       at Microsoft.Web.Deployment.ZipPackageProvider.<GetChildProviders>d__0.MoveNext()
       at Microsoft.Web.Deployment.DeploymentObject.<GetChildrenWithoutAz>d__c.MoveNext()
       at Microsoft.Web.Deployment.DeploymentObject.<GetChildren>d__0.MoveNext()
       at Microsoft.Web.Deployment.UI.DeploymentObjectTreeView.PopulateCurrentNode(IEnumerable`1 children, Int32 stateImageIndex, TreeNodeCollection collection)
       at Microsoft.Web.Deployment.UI.DeploymentObjectTreeView.Populate(DeploymentObject newRoot, Boolean shouldPopulateSiteNode)
       at Microsoft.Web.Deployment.UI.PackageDumpWizardPage.PopulateTree(DeploymentObject depObject, Boolean initialActivation, Boolean shouldPopulateSiteNode)
       at Microsoft.Web.Deployment.UI.InstallDumpPackagePage.PopulateTree(Boolean initialActivation)
       at Microsoft.Web.Deployment.UI.InstallDumpPackagePage.Activate()

[V] See details  [OK]

2.) Using the created deployment batch file with option /T

That's broken too (it seems to be the same error).

D:\CSRAdmin\deploy>CSRAdmin.deploy.cmd /T
    SetParameters from:
    "D:\CSRAdmin\deploy\CSRAdmin.SetParameters.xml"
    You can change IIS Application Name, Physical path, connectionString
    or other deploy parameters in the above file.
    -------------------------------------------------------
     Start executing msdeploy.exe
    -------------------------------------------------------
     "C:\Program Files\IIS\Microsoft Web Deploy V3\msdeploy.exe" -source:package='D:\CSRAdmin\deploy\CSRAdmin.zip' -dest:aut
    o,includeAcls="False" -verb:sync -disableLink:AppPoolExtension -disableLink:ContentExtension -disableLink:CertificateExt
    ension -setParamFile:"D:\CSRAdmin\deploy\CSRAdmin.SetParameters.xml" -whatif
    Trace Error:

msdeploy.exe Error: 0 :
    Trace Error:

Microsoft.Web.Deployment.DeploymentDetailedException ---> System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has bee
    n thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> Microsoft.Web.Deployment.DeploymentDetailedClientServerException: The prov
    ider 'LightSwitchApplication' could not be found.  Learn more at: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=221672#ERROR_PR
    OVIDER_NOT_FOUND.
       at Microsoft.Web.Deployment.DeploymentProviderSettingCollection..ctor(String factoryName)
       at Microsoft.Web.Deployment.DeploymentProviderOptions..ctor(SerializationInfo info, StreamingContext context)
       at System.RuntimeMethodHandle.SerializationInvoke(IRuntimeMethodInfo method, Object target, SerializationInfo info, S
    treamingContext& context)
       at System.Runtime.Serialization.ObjectManager.CompleteISerializableObject(Object obj, SerializationInfo info, Streami
    ngContext context)
       at System.Runtime.Serialization.ObjectManager.FixupSpecialObject(ObjectHolder holder)
       at System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary.ObjectReader.Deserialize(HeaderHandler handler, __BinaryParser serP
    arser, Boolean fCheck, Boolean isCrossAppDomain, IMethodCallMessage methodCallMessage)
       at System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary.BinaryFormatter.Deserialize(Stream serializationStream, HeaderHandl
    er handler, Boolean fCheck, Boolean isCrossAppDomain, IMethodCallMessage methodCallMessage)
       at System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary.BinaryFormatter.Deserialize(Stream serializationStream, HeaderHandl
    er handler, Boolean fCheck, IMethodCallMessage methodCallMessage)
       at Microsoft.Web.Deployment.Base64EncodingHelper.DeserializeHelper(BinaryFormatter formatter, Byte[] buffer, Object&
    outputObject, UInt32 maxSize)
       at Microsoft.Web.Deployment.Base64EncodingHelper.Deserialize(String str, Object& outputObject, Exception& handledExce
    ption, UInt32 maxSize)
       at Microsoft.Web.Deployment.Base64EncodingHelper.Deserialize(String str, Object& outputObject, Exception& handledExce
    ption, UInt32 maxSize)
       at Microsoft.Web.Deployment.ZipPackageProvider.<GetChildProviders>d__0.MoveNext()
       at Microsoft.Web.Deployment.DeploymentObject.<GetChildrenWithoutAz>d__c.MoveNext()
       at Microsoft.Web.Deployment.AutoProvider.<CreateProjection>d__0.MoveNext()
       at Microsoft.Web.Deployment.ManifestProvider.<GetPostProvidersHelper>d__0.MoveNext()
       at Microsoft.Web.Deployment.WebDeployTelemetryService.LogProviderInfo(DeploymentObjectProvider provider, Boolean isSo
    urceProvider)

Warning: BACKUP_FAILED - Skipping backup because it failed due to an unknown reason. For more information, contact your
    server administrator.
    Trace Error:

msdeploy.exe Error: 0 :
    Trace Error:

Skipping backup because it failed due to the following error 'Microsoft.Web.Deployment.DeploymentDetailedException --->
    System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> Microsoft.We
    b.Deployment.DeploymentDetailedClientServerException: The provider 'LightSwitchApplication' could not be found.  Learn m
    ore at: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=221672#ERROR_PROVIDER_NOT_FOUND.
       at System.RuntimeMethodHandle.SerializationInvoke(IRuntimeMethodInfo method, Object target, SerializationInfo info, S
    treamingContext& context)
       at System.Runtime.Serialization.ObjectManager.CompleteISerializableObject(Object obj, SerializationInfo info, Streami
    ngContext context)
       at System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary.ObjectReader.Deserialize(HeaderHandler handler, __BinaryParser serP
    arser, Boolean fCheck, Boolean isCrossAppDomain, IMethodCallMessage methodCallMessage)
    er handler, Boolean fCheck, Boolean isCrossAppDomain, IMethodCallMessage methodCallMessage)
    er handler, Boolean fCheck, IMethodCallMessage methodCallMessage)
       at Microsoft.Web.Deployment.Base64EncodingHelper.DeserializeHelper(BinaryFormatter formatter, Byte[] buffer, Object&
    outputObject, UInt32 maxSize)
    ption, UInt32 maxSize)
    ption, UInt32 maxSize)
       at Microsoft.Web.Deployment.AutoProvider.<CreateProjection>d__0.MoveNext()
       at Microsoft.Web.Deployment.ManifestProvider.<GetPostProvidersHelper>d__0.MoveNext()
       at Microsoft.Web.Deployment.ProviderListLookUp.ManifestContainsProviders(ManifestProvider manifest, Type[] providerFa
    ctoriesToLookFor)
       at Microsoft.Web.Deployment.BackupManager.DeploymentObjectHasPotentialForBackup(DeploymentObject depObj, ManifestProv
    ider& manifest, IList`1& matchedFactories)
       at Microsoft.Web.Deployment.BackupManager.ProceedWithBackup(DeploymentObject depObj, Boolean ignoreEnabled, BackupSet
    tings& settings, Boolean suppressLogging)'.

Info: Adding sitemanifest (sitemanifest).
    Error Code: ERROR_FAILED_TO_DESERIALIZE
    More Information:
    Error: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
    Error Code: ERROR_PROVIDER_NOT_FOUND
    More Information: The provider 'LightSwitchApplication' could not be found.  Learn more at: http://go.microsoft.com/fwli
    nk/?LinkId=221672#ERROR_PROVIDER_NOT_FOUND.
    Error count: 1.

3.) Trying to use the remote deployment wizard again.

Still giving me the same unspecific error:

Error    1    Web deployment task failed. ((10.09.2013 09:49:38) An error occurred when the request was processed on the remote computer.)

(10.09.2013 09:49:38) An error occurred when the request was processed on the remote computer.
    The entry type 'Unknown' was not expected at this time. The serialization stream may be corrupted.    C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft\VisualStudio\v11.0\Web\Microsoft.Web.Publishing.targets    4193    6    CSRAdmin

Tuesday, September 10, 2013 7:58 AM
  • Are you certain that you have properly configured the server with the server prerequisites? How to: Configure a Server to Host LightSwitch-Based Applications

Justin Anderson, LightSwitch Development Team

Tuesday, September 10, 2013 9:38 AM
  • Hello,

I used web plattform installer v 4.6 o an window server 2008 R2 Enterprise 64 bit with all available patches installed from Windows Update.

The lightswitch in visual studio 2012 - Server with local SQL Express is installed. I added three screen shots about what the web plattform installer did install. Take into account that i also installed VS 2012 Premium there as well.

Hope that helps. It should be really difficult to figure out why these error occur as there are so many possible combinations of installed products and configurations.

One more screenshot in next post

Tuesday, September 10, 2013 11:53 AM
  • Last screen shot (can only add two at a time)
    Tuesday, September 10, 2013 11:53 AM
  • Hansjorg - #1 and #2 are the same error.  The package you have is expecting to use the LightSwitch prereqs (WebDeploy provider) and it's not installed on the server.  That's a legacy provider for V1 of LightSwitch.  Try creating a package without checking the box for the prereqs and try again.

#3 is usually a WebDeploy problem most often comes from multiple versions being installed.  You can try uninstalling all version from the IIS machine (via Control Panel) and then just install the LightSwitch Server Configuration WebPI feed again.

HTH

Tuesday, September 17, 2013 6:11 PM