none
WEC7 Boot Up Time RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have an x86 platform (baytrail) that I am using biosloader to boot my image from. My image runs headless, and is less than 4 MB in size. I am trying to make the platform boot as quickly as possible. Using kernel tracker I see that my image takes around 3 seconds to load all the drivers and start executing my application. However, biosloader itself takes around 7 seconds to get to the point where drivers start to load (giving me a boot up time of around 10 seconds). How can I speed up the biosloader portion of the boot process, or is there another bootloader that is used that is faster than bootloader? I have the same bootup time whether I'm booting from and SSD or a USB thumb drive. I don't have a hardware debugger to check what is happening between the time power is applied to the board and the drivers start to load. Does anyone have experience with making x86 biosloader (or other boot loader) booting faster than 7 seconds?

Thanks

Sunday, January 24, 2016 6:47 PM

All replies

• Hi elk84,

Biosloader is available in sources @ C:\WINCE700\platform\CEPC\src\bootloader\biosloader
    Indeed there can be default 5 seconds delay to choose alternative boot file @ boot.ini -

# Boot delay (in seconds) in which to select the alternative image
    Delay=5

Good luck, Igor

Monday, January 25, 2016 9:55 AM
  • Hi Igor,

I already set Delay to zero and that is what is giving me the 7 second delay (time for bios to load and the biosloader to complete). I suppose the question I was trying to ask was, what is the fastest people are able to boot with biosloader on the x86 platform? Are there alterations that can be done to the source (which you directed me to) to load everything faster? Biosloader is taking 7 seconds to load for me, if this is the typical load time using biosloader then I will be forced to look into Intel BLDK to get more of an instant on. However, I have seen examples using WEC7 running on arm with almost instant on (this isn't using biosloader), but I haven't seen any examples of WEC7 booting fast (like less than 2 seconds) on x86. Is Biosloader sufficient to achieve a quick boot time less than a couple of seconds or must I look into some other method (possibly using Intel BLDK)?

Thanks

Tuesday, January 26, 2016 3:43 AM