How to change power setting in metro style application

Question

• Dear All,

I write a metro style application and try to change brightness level via "PowerWriteACIndex" function But always get error(Error Code:ERROR_ACCESS_DENIED)

Whether the  metro style applicatio did not have permissions to change the power setting?

Wednesday, December 14, 2011 7:12 AM

All replies

• Hi Dennis,

makes perfectly sense to me. Why should an application change the brightness level? I would consider it as inappropriate and disrupting if one of my applications did so. IMHO hardware setting should only be modified by the OS if required or manually.

Wednesday, December 14, 2011 10:34 AM
  • what if a developer or OEM wants to deliver a custom settings app that aggregates the various system settings like volume, brightness, lock, and such? They do that now as Toshiba, HP, Samsung, and even independent developers offer desktop apps that do just that.
    Wednesday, December 14, 2011 7:52 PM
  • what if a developer or OEM wants to deliver a custom settings app that aggregates the various system settings like volume, brightness, lock, and such? They do that now as Toshiba, HP, Samsung, and even independent developers offer desktop apps that do just that.

First of all, you've got a point there. Though, I do not want to offend any OEM or developer, I personally do not hold such "aggregation" applications in high esteem. We just have one, it is called operating system, and therefore I stick to the OS-native setting machinery. It integrates better, I think.

Second, if I am not completely mistaken, we are talking about Metro style applications. I am not certain, whether they are supposed to be so invasive. I hope not. And if so then at least not without the permission and awareness of the one using it.

Wednesday, December 14, 2011 10:30 PM
  • In what language are you developing your Metro App?

Marilyn
    Thursday, December 22, 2011 10:36 PM
  • Whether the  metro style applicatio did not have permissions to change the power setting? 

If you Search for Brightness in Settings, you get the settings to Calibrate display color, adjust basic color, gamma, brightness and contrast, once you have done it to your satisfaction, it stays, unless you want to readjust it.

Irfan
    Friday, December 23, 2011 6:55 PM