Send email after each response RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I need to create a workflow to allow staff members to approve a document, however I need an email to be sent back after each staff member completes the workflow (ie not wait until everyone completes).  

Is there an easy way of doing this either directly in SharePoint or by customising a standard workflow in Designer (I am not confident about creating designer workflows unfortunately).

Regards

Mark

Monday, May 9, 2011 9:16 AM

Answers

• Hi Mark,

I learned that you wanted to send a "Completed" email to the specified person (administrator/manager) for each approval workflow completed (Approved/Rejected), if it was, you can follow these steps:

Assume that you have created the document library named TestDoc,  which is used to hold the documents need to approve.

1.       For “TestDoc”, create an approval workflow with SharePoint 2007 itself.

a.       Edit the workflow name (i.e. ApproveDoc).

b.      In Task List section, you should select "New task list" (this list name will be displayed as “ApproveDoc Tasks”, you can see it in list section later) which is used to hold the "Approval Task" items.

2.       For the “ApproveDoc Tasks”, you should create a another simple workflow (i.e. name as ApproveFeedback) with SharePoint Designer 2007.

a.       Workflow  approveFeedback should attach to the list "ApproveDoc Task", select the checkbox of “Automatically start this workflow whenever an item is changed”, then Next.

b.       Condition: If Status equals Completed. Actions: Email the specified person.

3.       Click Finish.

That should be OK. when completing an approval, it will trigger the workflow “ApproveFeedback” to send the complete email to the specified person.

Alternatively, you can implement with code (List Event Handler),  when the status of the item “approve task” (in “ApproveDoc Tasks”) changes to ”Completed”, trigger to send the complete email. For more information about event handler, please refer to this article: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/brianwilson/archive/2007/03/05/part-1-event-handlers-everything-you-need-to-know-about-microsoft-office-sharepoint-portal-server-moss-event-handlers.aspx .

Thanks.

Daniel

• Marked as answer by KeFang Chen Monday, May 16, 2011 9:47 AM
    Thursday, May 12, 2011 1:09 PM

All replies

• Have you tried the ootb workflows?  What about those didn't work for you? 

Are the approvals parallel or series?
    Who is to receive the email when an approval occurs?
    What happens is an approver doesn't respond at all?

Steve Clark, MCTS | Twin-Soft.com
    Tuesday, May 10, 2011 8:21 PM
  • You have to with custom SPD workflow.

You can create it: This link have videos which will guide you throughout the journey.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint-designer-help/watch-this-design-a-document-review-workflow-solution-HA010256417.aspx

Dare to promise
    Tuesday, May 10, 2011 8:45 PM
  • Hi Mark,

I learned that you wanted to send a "Completed" email to the specified person (administrator/manager) for each approval workflow completed (Approved/Rejected), if it was, you can follow these steps:

Assume that you have created the document library named TestDoc,  which is used to hold the documents need to approve.

1.       For “TestDoc”, create an approval workflow with SharePoint 2007 itself.

a.       Edit the workflow name (i.e. ApproveDoc).

b.      In Task List section, you should select "New task list" (this list name will be displayed as “ApproveDoc Tasks”, you can see it in list section later) which is used to hold the "Approval Task" items.

2.       For the “ApproveDoc Tasks”, you should create a another simple workflow (i.e. name as ApproveFeedback) with SharePoint Designer 2007.

a.       Workflow  approveFeedback should attach to the list "ApproveDoc Task", select the checkbox of “Automatically start this workflow whenever an item is changed”, then Next.

b.       Condition: If Status equals Completed. Actions: Email the specified person.

3.       Click Finish.

That should be OK. when completing an approval, it will trigger the workflow “ApproveFeedback” to send the complete email to the specified person.

Alternatively, you can implement with code (List Event Handler),  when the status of the item “approve task” (in “ApproveDoc Tasks”) changes to ”Completed”, trigger to send the complete email. For more information about event handler, please refer to this article: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/brianwilson/archive/2007/03/05/part-1-event-handlers-everything-you-need-to-know-about-microsoft-office-sharepoint-portal-server-moss-event-handlers.aspx .

Thanks.

Daniel

• Marked as answer by KeFang Chen Monday, May 16, 2011 9:47 AM
    Thursday, May 12, 2011 1:09 PM