Touchscreen Issues When Plugged Into Car Inverter RRS feed

• Question

• Was trying to use the slate in the car the other day and decided to plug it into the car's built-in inverter. Immediately, the touchscreen became useless with multiple touches occurring along the same row even though I was just using one finger. Unable to use the on-screen keyboard at all. Upon unplugging the device from the AC adapter, the touchscreen was back to normal. It also works fine when plugged in at home. Haven't checked the inverter voltage readings, but assuming some issue with a floating ground. Maybe a little more tolerance is in order? Anyone else tried this?
    -bp
    Friday, September 23, 2011 3:52 PM

Answers

• <<...Was trying to use the slate in the car...and decided to plug it into the car's built-in inverter...>>

...This is an electromagnetic interference (EMI) problem; basically, the inverter (which transforms DC into ~110V AC) is creating too much electromagnetic noise and that is affecting the Wacom digitizer.

Unfortunately, EMI problems with inverters is common and can usually only be overcome with meticulous shielding, which is hard to do.  You can try a self-contained inverter (check your local computer superstore or Best Buy) but a better solution might be an external battery.  Energizer / XPal and Tekkeon have 66 / 58 Wh batteries with DC adapter plugs that fit the S7S...

Tuesday, November 8, 2011 1:52 PM

All replies

• I have the same issue with a normal USB power adaptor using it with my phone. Screen is not reacting properly. As the touch technology used is based on small changes of the current between you and the screen - it might be that the grounding is not correct or fluctuating - just guessing here. Maybe the isolation is somehow not good enough for such a technology. Your power adaptor more optimized for driven refridgerators ;)

Friday, September 23, 2011 6:13 PM
  • Thank you for posting your feedback, we want to make sure we get the right info including your log files. Can you also submit feedback using the Windows Feedback Tool from the Connect Site associated with your Windows Developer Preview program? If you’re an MSDN subscriber, the information on how to join the Connect program is included on the download page where you installed Windows Developer Preview. There’s a link to the Connect site and an invitation code that you can click on to join using a Windows Live ID account. If you’re not an MSDN subscriber follow this limited use link to join the Connect program and then follow the steps here.

In case the link above gets messed up, the URL is below:

ADD1-RY34-K4T4
    (https://connect.microsoft.com/site1147/InvitationUse.aspx?ProgramID=7221&InvitationID=ADD1-RY34-K4T4)

Marilyn
    Wednesday, October 5, 2011 2:39 AM
  • I've seen similar touch screen issues when using the tablet's bundled AC adaptor. Either the adaptor is noisy, or the touch circuitry is too sensitive and picky.

Monday, October 24, 2011 7:27 AM
  • I also have the same problem with this... Please if anyone has any useful solution for this than please provide me...

www.indiancarz.com

Saturday, November 5, 2011 7:44 AM
  • <<...Was trying to use the slate in the car...and decided to plug it into the car's built-in inverter...>>

...This is an electromagnetic interference (EMI) problem; basically, the inverter (which transforms DC into ~110V AC) is creating too much electromagnetic noise and that is affecting the Wacom digitizer.

Unfortunately, EMI problems with inverters is common and can usually only be overcome with meticulous shielding, which is hard to do.  You can try a self-contained inverter (check your local computer superstore or Best Buy) but a better solution might be an external battery.  Energizer / XPal and Tekkeon have 66 / 58 Wh batteries with DC adapter plugs that fit the S7S...

Tuesday, November 8, 2011 1:52 PM
  • This will happen with the AC adapter plugged into a non grounded socket...Looks like some kinde of bleadthrough causing issues with touch...grounding the adapter fixes this :/
    • Edited by Lerun Wednesday, November 9, 2011 8:33 PM
    Wednesday, November 9, 2011 8:32 PM