Installing the SQL Management Studio RRS feed

• Question

• I've downloaded the SQL 2008 Service Pack 2.  I try to install the SQL Management Studio, and the .exe says it's extracting files, and then I get an SQL Service Installation Menu.  But I can't figure out if the SMS is really installed or how to start it.  I've restarted the computer, but I get no new program icon anywhere I can find.
    Thursday, March 24, 2011 7:48 PM

Answers

• Hi Driftwood00,

If that is the case, I recommend that you take a look at the setup log file which shows the SQL Server components that were detected during Setup. It is located at %programfiles%\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Setup Bootstrap\Log\ by default. Please view the Book Online link about SQL Server Setup Log Files: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143702.aspx.

Best Regards,
    Stephanie Lv

Monday, March 28, 2011 11:08 AM

All replies

• It appears to me that you are trying to download and install database engine for SQL Express 2008.

If you just need management studio express 2008 (not R2)

you can download it from here 

Thursday, March 24, 2011 8:04 PM
  • Thanks, but the one you provide a link to is the one I tried to install.  It doesn't seem to go through.
    Thursday, March 24, 2011 8:19 PM
  • Can you see management studio under Start-->Programs-->Microsoft SQL Server 2008?

or by typing Start-->Run (or search programs)-->SSMS.exe
    Thursday, March 24, 2011 8:23 PM
  • No.  It's not there, nor in the Microsoft SQL Server 2008 folder, nor its Configuration Tools subfolder.  I don't think it's getting installed.  I found the folder it installs on my C: drive is this:

C:\28298e8e46d809a658   (this folder shows a little lock on it)

But when I run the Setup.exe file inside the folder, the file disappears, and it goes to the same  SQL Service Installation menu.

I'm searching for SSMS.exe now...

Thursday, March 24, 2011 8:35 PM
  • No SSMS.exe file found...   Hmmm.

Thanks for all your good suggestions, Chirac.  Don't feel obliged to keep responding.  I have to leave for a trip tomorrow morning, so I'll likely have to leave this to do things to get ready for it.  I'll work on it again late next week.

Thursday, March 24, 2011 8:41 PM
  • Hi Driftwood00,

If that is the case, I recommend that you take a look at the setup log file which shows the SQL Server components that were detected during Setup. It is located at %programfiles%\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Setup Bootstrap\Log\ by default. Please view the Book Online link about SQL Server Setup Log Files: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143702.aspx.

Best Regards,
    Stephanie Lv

Monday, March 28, 2011 11:08 AM