none
WIN7 to WES7 known migration issues RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to allocate Microsoft's document(s) listing the known existing issues when migrating a system from Windows 7 to Windows Embedded Standard 7. For example missing default drivers, Windows functions that are not working, etc.

Wednesday, August 5, 2015 12:24 AM

All replies

• WES7 allows OEMs to select feature packages to build custom images. Technically, one could build a full Windows 7 from WES7.

Is there something specific your looking to address?

Sean Liming - Book Author: Starter Guide SIM (WEI), Pro Guide to WE8S & WES 7, Pro Guide to POS for .NET - www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com

Wednesday, August 5, 2015 6:03 AM
  • I'm not looking for something particular, but more general information about differences between the 2 OS. I want to know what can get wrong when I'm moving applications that have been fully tested on Windows 7, to WES7.

Wednesday, August 5, 2015 4:49 PM
  • The biggest issue is not adding the individual WES7 feature package needed to run the application. The only thing to do is to run dependency walker to figure out what DLLs need to go into the image, or make sure you install run times like Java, .NET, etc., and be sure to add the OS features that you know are needed - Media Player, IIS, Networking, etc.

My book provides some examples of building images: https://annabooks.com/Book_PGWES7.html

Sean Liming - Book Author: Starter Guide SIM (WEI), Pro Guide to WE8S & WES 7, Pro Guide to POS for .NET - www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com

Wednesday, August 5, 2015 6:48 PM