the extended personal starter kit altered database. passing the new info to the live database RRS feed

• Question

• User-758507629 posted

I have my personal starter kit up and running on goDaddy. Now that I have expanded my local version and altered the local SQL express, How do I make the changes on the SQL database on goDaddy. I have made tables on the SQL database, however I can't figure out how to add data such as picture ID's and URL's.

Shouldn't I be able to copy and paste into the query analyzer like I did originally when I set up the database connection?

Thursday, November 8, 2007 10:26 AM

Answers

• User2069888697 posted

Make sure you are using the Management Studio Express tool

SQL Server Management Studio Express

SQL Server Management Studio Express is installed by running the setup program for either SQL Server Express with Advanced Services or SQL Server Express Toolkit. Before you install SQL Server Management Studio Express, you must install MSXML 6.0.

Download ** (43.1 MB)

Then you should be able to create an sql file, which can be opened in notepad.

CreateSqlFile

Your only other option would be to dump GoDaddy and go with a hosting plan that allows remote access to your databases. i would recommend WebHost4life. 

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Saturday, November 10, 2007 6:27 AM

All replies

• User2069888697 posted

If you use Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio Express, you can generate scripts to run on the godaddy database.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/express/bb410792.aspx 

Just right click on the Table or Stored Procedure, select Create to File, open the file created in notepad and copy then paste to query tool on godaddy account management page.(it has been awhile since I have been a godaddy customer, but this should point you in the right direction) 

Thursday, November 8, 2007 7:17 PM
  • User-758507629 posted

Thanks,

But still no luck, I have right clicked every where and no option to create file. I even went as far as downloading the latest version of SQL 2005 and still nothing.

Friday, November 9, 2007 3:02 PM
  • User2069888697 posted

Make sure you are using the Management Studio Express tool

SQL Server Management Studio Express

SQL Server Management Studio Express is installed by running the setup program for either SQL Server Express with Advanced Services or SQL Server Express Toolkit. Before you install SQL Server Management Studio Express, you must install MSXML 6.0.

Download ** (43.1 MB)

Then you should be able to create an sql file, which can be opened in notepad.

CreateSqlFile

Your only other option would be to dump GoDaddy and go with a hosting plan that allows remote access to your databases. i would recommend WebHost4life. 

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Saturday, November 10, 2007 6:27 AM
  • User1052258516 posted

You will probably have to export the data out of your local database and import it onto your goDaddy database using SQL Scripts.  You can find such a script here http://www.robgonda.com/blog/files/robGonda/UserFiles/File/generate_inserts.txt.  This is a stored procedure that will generate insert SQL statements for all of (or some) of the data in your tables.  There are samples of how to use the stored procedure in the actual stored procedure.

Saturday, November 10, 2007 11:34 PM
  • User-758507629 posted

Thanks for the help. I am having a hard time understanding how to generate SQL statements.  I am going to hard code my info for now. When it is time to renew with GoDaddy, I am going to drop them and move to a different server that accepts remote connections.

Tuesday, November 13, 2007 11:20 AM