Experimental IDE Instance - TextAdornment project RRS feed

• Question

• Breakpoints are not being hit  in Exp2
    I have created a TextAdornment project to play around with some code highlighting. After doing a lot of reflection and debugging I am starting to get the hang of things. However, since I am writing a package in the same solution, it makes sense to point the start up (devenv.exe) for the TextAdornment project at a new experimental hive in the registry. So, I changed the /RootSuffix flag from Exp To Exp2. When I debug this none of my breakpoints are hit. I could debug with my other package(Exp) but there are conditions that cause exceptions even though I have the TextAdornment project set as the start up project.

Monday, February 27, 2012 10:48 AM

Answers

• Hi Lucy,

Given up the idea of multiple experimental hives
    I think it is a little more complicated then that. It appears that the Exp hive is the default for debugging packages. Therefore, the files don't get copied to the correct directory when Exp_somethingElse is used. The registry does get a new hive built up but the app_data directory doesn't get created. I also don't know if there are any other dependencies. I copied the folder from AppData/.../Exp to AppData/.../Exp2 and it also didn't work. I have given up on having multiple experimental hives but it would be a nice feature.

• Marked as answer by lucy-liuModerator Monday, March 5, 2012 9:12 AM
    • Edited by jwize Friday, March 16, 2012 4:53 AM
    Wednesday, February 29, 2012 5:12 PM

All replies

• Hi jwize,
    You can try the following steps :
    1. Open your Modules window (Debug->Windows->Modules);
    2. Look for your project’s dll, and check the symbol status for it;
    3. If it says cannot find or open the pdf file, right-click on your module, select load symbols, and browse to the path of your pdf, then the symbol status will change to symbols loaded, and now you can set or catch a breakpoint at your code.
    If you still cannot solve this issue, please try to delete your obj folder and bin folder, restart your VS , rebuild your project.
    And please read this article, which tells about Why the debugger will not hit your breakpoints?: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/sudeepg/archive/2007/08/13/why-the-debugger-will-not-hit-your-breakpoints.aspx

Lucy Liu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Wednesday, February 29, 2012 6:49 AM
  • Hi Lucy,

Given up the idea of multiple experimental hives
    I think it is a little more complicated then that. It appears that the Exp hive is the default for debugging packages. Therefore, the files don't get copied to the correct directory when Exp_somethingElse is used. The registry does get a new hive built up but the app_data directory doesn't get created. I also don't know if there are any other dependencies. I copied the folder from AppData/.../Exp to AppData/.../Exp2 and it also didn't work. I have given up on having multiple experimental hives but it would be a nice feature.

• Marked as answer by lucy-liuModerator Monday, March 5, 2012 9:12 AM
    • Edited by jwize Friday, March 16, 2012 4:53 AM
    Wednesday, February 29, 2012 5:12 PM
  • Hi jwize,
    You’re right,  there is not multiple experimental hives in the VS,
    But you can submit your suggestions to Microsoft Connect feedback portal http://connect.microsoft.com, Microsoft engineers will evaluate them seriously, thanks.
    If this issue is urgent, please contact support at http://support.microsoft.com.

Lucy Liu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Thursday, March 1, 2012 10:06 AM