none
How to relocate DLLs RRS feed

• Question

• My standalone Windows Forms application requires a few DLLs.  At run time it appears that the DLLs must be in ths same folder as the exe file.  How can I make the program look for DLLs in some other folder, eg .\DLLs or .\bin

Thanks.
    Sunday, September 13, 2009 8:38 AM

Answers

All replies

• If you are talking about .NET assemblies, you can manually load assemblies into your application domain using the AppDomain.Load method. Otherwise, if the assemblies are shared, I recommend to put them into the GAC.
    Geert van Horrik - CatenaLogic
    Visit my blog: http://blog.catenalogic.com

Looking for a way to deploy your updates to all your clients? Try Updater!
    • Marked as answer by K.Kong Sunday, September 13, 2009 9:16 AM
    Sunday, September 13, 2009 8:57 AM
  • Thanks.  But I can't seem to find an overload that allows the path to be specified.

Sunday, September 13, 2009 9:46 AM
  • Hi K

MSDN: How the Runtime Locates Assemblies
    Observe:
    Note   Referenced assemblies outside the application's root directory must have strong names and must either be installed in the global assembly cache or specified using the <codebase> element.

:-)
    • Marked as answer by K.Kong Monday, September 14, 2009 2:19 AM
    Sunday, September 13, 2009 11:16 AM
  • Thank you very much.

It seems what I need is simply setting CurrentDomain.RelativeSearchPath, but unfortunately there's only a Get accessor for this property.

The writeable property is in AppDomainSetup.PrivateBinPath, but creating a new AppDomainSetup object will only apply to newly created domains.

It looks like I have to wade into a new area creating new AppDomains.
    Monday, September 14, 2009 1:19 AM
  • Just to let all know that I finally added the following to the app.exe.config file where codeBase specifies the location:

<

runtime>
     <
    assemblyBinding xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1">
       <
    dependentAssembly>
         <
    assemblyIdentity name="yyyyyy" publicKeyToken="fffffffffffff" culture="neutral" />
         <
    codeBase version="0.0.0.0" href="subfolder/yyyyyy.dll"/>
       </
    dependentAssembly>
      </
    assemblyBinding>
    </
    runtime>

Thursday, September 17, 2009 2:53 AM