none
Debugging web site with dll in Visual Studio 20150 PDB file not being created

Question

• I have a web application that is part of a project that contains a total of 22 projects.  All the projects that the web applications call are c# dll's.  I need to run the application in debugging mode and debug the code in the dll files.  Is there a way to do this?  I have attempted to follow the documentation, but when I build the application the symbol files are not created for the dll's so I only hit the break points in the web application.  I really need to see the break points in the associated dll files.

When I try to Load the symbols from the module window I get the following error:  A matching symbol file was not found in this folder.

How can I fix this issue.

Regards

Wednesday, February 15, 2017 2:57 PM

Answers

• I was able to resolve the issue by removing the reference, and referencing the dll I built.  This project was upgraded from asp with active X controls to ASP.NET with .NET framework 4.5.  I am working on the bugs.  So this solution has been handed down to me.  Not sure why I had to re-reference the dll, but this solution worked.
    Wednesday, February 15, 2017 9:34 PM

All replies

• Hi

1) I assume that the Web Application project and the Class Library projects are part of the same solution, that the Web Application project adds the Class Library projects as references (not as compiled dlls) and that the active solution configuration and project configuration for each project is Debug, not Release.

2) For each class library, go to the Project Properties, Build tab, Configuration set to Debug, Advanced button and ensure that the Debugging Information is set to Full:

The .pdb should be generated for each dll.

3) Set the breakpoints in the code of the Class Libraries

4) Set as startup project the Web Application and debug it. The breakpoints should be hit at some point when called.

My portal and blog about VSX: http://www.visualstudioextensibility.com<br/> Twitter: https://twitter.com/VSExtensibility<br/> MZ-Tools productivity extension for Visual Studio: https://www.mztools.com

Wednesday, February 15, 2017 5:39 PM
  • Thank you for your response Carlos.  I have taken the steps you outlined prior to posting, but issue is not resolved. As for your assumptions 1. yes the it is all one solution 2. the class library are actually upgraded com components with a type of ServicedComponent , so the reference manager actually shows a reference to the individual projects. 3.  each project is in debug.

Is there a way to either convert the reference, or debug the com component as is?

Wednesday, February 15, 2017 6:51 PM
  • I was able to resolve the issue by removing the reference, and referencing the dll I built.  This project was upgraded from asp with active X controls to ASP.NET with .NET framework 4.5.  I am working on the bugs.  So this solution has been handed down to me.  Not sure why I had to re-reference the dll, but this solution worked.
    Wednesday, February 15, 2017 9:34 PM