none
Line Height RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

Firstly, Im very new to this.
    Ive been playing with frontpage 2000 for the last few years. recently gave in and upgraded to Expressions.

there is one problem that ive still got which i was rather hoping expressions would cure.

i have came to the assumption its obviosly me!

When i copy a large amount of text from word and paste it into a table (3 columns. pasted into the middle column)
    there is always some lines that is spaced out more than others.
    I could never work ot how to get ALL lines spaced to look the same.

i have tried format>paragraph>line spacing (leaving it blank,selecting single etc, etc,)
    i have tried format>paragraph>before & after.

None of them help me to get what i consider sensible spacing. they are either too close (so much so that sometimes the bootom of the sentence is chopped off) OR too far apart.

im sure this will be an easy answer for someone!! (i will probably kick myself!)

Cheers

Mark
    Saturday, April 5, 2008 2:35 PM

Answers

• Mark,

Typically the issue is copying directly from word, or any office product, directly. What is happening is that in addition to the text you want you are also importing a lot of markup language that is fine in a printed document but not for a web site. There are two ways to paste the information in. Either past it into a notepad document and then recopy and paste into xWeb or copy it to the clipboard as you have been but instead of right clicking paste use edit->paste text and select the first option. I use the notepad method to ensure that no extra markup is being pasted into the web page.

Word, publisher, excel, etc. are mainly for the printed page. The markup they use can totally break a web page.

Sid
    Saturday, April 5, 2008 5:37 PM
  • After you copy from Word, click once in the column to set an insertion point,
    then click Edit > Paste text...
    This action will strip out any word ( or other editor ) formatting.

FrontPage MVP
    Saturday, April 5, 2008 6:42 PM

All replies

• I'm pretty sure you don't want to copy and paste from word. I've heard it's not a good idea.

That's all I have. Someone will share their wisdom shortly, I'm sure.
    Saturday, April 5, 2008 2:39 PM
  • Mark,

Typically the issue is copying directly from word, or any office product, directly. What is happening is that in addition to the text you want you are also importing a lot of markup language that is fine in a printed document but not for a web site. There are two ways to paste the information in. Either past it into a notepad document and then recopy and paste into xWeb or copy it to the clipboard as you have been but instead of right clicking paste use edit->paste text and select the first option. I use the notepad method to ensure that no extra markup is being pasted into the web page.

Word, publisher, excel, etc. are mainly for the printed page. The markup they use can totally break a web page.

Sid
    Saturday, April 5, 2008 5:37 PM
  • After you copy from Word, click once in the column to set an insertion point,
    then click Edit > Paste text...

FrontPage MVP
    Saturday, April 5, 2008 6:42 PM
  • Steve Easton said:

This also applies to copying text from web pages displayed in web browsers.
    • Edited by romh0 Saturday, April 5, 2008 7:59 PM correction
    Saturday, April 5, 2008 7:58 PM
  • Cheers for the replys!
    what a nice normal, sensible community (makes a change!)

well it all makes perfect sense. This also explains why i was having trouble alligning text that was in a cell next to eachother...

its all clicking into place now!

so what im doing now is copying the text out of notepad (i.e no formatting)

which straight away i can see that is going to work.

All ihave to suss out now is once i have made the styles i want i how to apply them properly.
    for instance if one of the styles alligns the sentence i want left, the whole page goes left!

Anyway cheers for the help peeps.
    that has baffled me for years! withing a few hours on here problem solved!

cheers

mark
    Sunday, April 6, 2008 9:35 AM
  • sussed it now peeps.

Format the text first (into paragraphs) then the styles can be applied to one paragraph at the time.

cheers

m
    Sunday, April 6, 2008 11:19 AM