DAX: DISTINCTCOUNT with RANX and ADDCOLUMNS problem RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All
    I'm trying to achieve the following:
    1. identify the top 2 best selling SKUs
    2. check how many above SKUs are stockout in any stores.
    My approach:

[Total Sales Qty]

SUM(SalesTbl[Qty])

[Rank]

IF(NOT(ISBLANK([Total Sales Qty]))&&HASONEVALUE(SkuTbl[SKU]),

RANKX(ALL(SkuTbl[SKU]),[Total Sales Qty],,,Dense),

BLANK()

)

[Count of Top 2 Sku with 0 qty in each store]

CALCULATE(

DISTINCTCOUNT(InvTbl[SKU]),

InvTbl[On Hand Qty]=0,

FILTER(                               <= select ONLY the top 2 SKUs and ignore the rest

ADDCOLUMNS(VALUES(SkuTbl[SKU]),

"Ranking",CALCULATE([Rank])

),

[Ranking]<=2&&NOT(ISBLANK([Total Sales Qty]))

)

)

I'm hoping to get the following result

Store Count of Top 2 Sku has 0 qty in each store
    Store1
    C3 1
    D4 1
    Store2
    C3 1
    Store3
    D4 1
    Grand Total 2

Any help would be great!

Thanks

Sample Data
    Pivot Table 1
    SKU Total Sales Qty Rank
    C3 30 1
    D4 11 2
    B2 8 3
    A1 5 4
    Grand Total 54

Sales Table

SKU Store Qty
    01/01/2016    A1 Store1 3
    01/01/2016    B2
    Store1 4
    01/01/2016    D4 Store1 5
    01/01/2016    A1 Store2 1
    01/01/2016    B2 Store2 2
    01/01/2016    C3 Store2 16
    01/01/2016
       D4 Store2 4
    01/01/2016    A1 Store3 1
    01/01/2016
       B2 Store3 2
    01/01/2016    C3 Store3 14
    01/01/2016    D4 Store3 2

Inv Table
    Store SKU On Hand Qty
    Store1 A1 1
    Store1 B2 0
    Store1 C3 0
    Store1 D4 0
    Store1 E5 1
    Store2 A1 0
    Store2 B2 0
    Store2 C3 0
    Store2 D4 1
    Store2 E5 0
    Store3 A1 1
    Store3 B2 0
    Store3 C3 1
    Store3 D4 0
    Store3 E5 0

• Edited by JohnL2K Wednesday, February 3, 2016 10:46 PM
    Wednesday, February 3, 2016 10:53 AM

Answers

• Your formulas are hard to read, but I miss something like ALL(Stores) somewhere which would cause the rank to be calculated over all stores. I suspect that the top 2 are now calculated per store.

And I think your calculations need a lot of simplification. You can calculate the top 2 customers using the TOPN function with appropriate arguments, and use that as a filter to calculate the out-of-stock skus. Something like

COUNTROWS(CALCULATETABLE(FILTER(SKUs,[CurrentStock]=0),TOPN(2,SKUs,[Sales])))

Wednesday, February 3, 2016 5:28 PM
    Answerer
  • Pivot tbles can do this natively with TopN filters on the right fields. Any reason you need it to be in a measure?

Check out the Power BI User Group of Philadelphia.
    Our next meeting is February 2 in Malvern, PA.

Wednesday, February 3, 2016 8:45 PM
  • Good question. 1. the measure will be part of the dashboard report component. 2. RankX/TopN are just the stepping stone so I can perform ABC analysis to monitor the stockout status in each category/store. utimately i will add the time intelligence to the measure for better usability.  ie. among 500 stores only these x stores stockout the these topN products for past z days.

Wednesday, February 3, 2016 10:19 PM
  • No, I was referring to my formula, not yours:

COUNTROWS(CALCULATETABLE(FILTER(SKUs,[CurrentStock]=0),TOPN(2,ALL(SKUs),[Sales])))

It would help to show what the result is with this formula. You say it doesn't return the expected results, but what does it return? I don't have the model here...

Thursday, February 4, 2016 7:09 AM
    Answerer
  • OK, so C3 and D4 are skus that are actually in the pivot table - you may have to do the TOPN over ALL(SKUs) instead.
    Wednesday, February 3, 2016 9:53 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• Your formulas are hard to read, but I miss something like ALL(Stores) somewhere which would cause the rank to be calculated over all stores. I suspect that the top 2 are now calculated per store.

And I think your calculations need a lot of simplification. You can calculate the top 2 customers using the TOPN function with appropriate arguments, and use that as a filter to calculate the out-of-stock skus. Something like

COUNTROWS(CALCULATETABLE(FILTER(SKUs,[CurrentStock]=0),TOPN(2,SKUs,[Sales])))

Wednesday, February 3, 2016 5:28 PM
    Answerer
  • Hello Michiel

Thank you for your valuable input. The formula you suggested works but the result is not what I'm expecting.

I'm hoping to see the following

Store1
    C3 1
    D4 1
    Store2
    C3 1
    Store3
    D4 1
    Grand Total 2

Wednesday, February 3, 2016 7:50 PM
  • Pivot tbles can do this natively with TopN filters on the right fields. Any reason you need it to be in a measure?

Check out the Power BI User Group of Philadelphia.
    Our next meeting is February 2 in Malvern, PA.

Wednesday, February 3, 2016 8:45 PM
  • OK, so C3 and D4 are skus that are actually in the pivot table - you may have to do the TOPN over ALL(SKUs) instead.
    Wednesday, February 3, 2016 9:53 PM
    Answerer
  • Good question. 1. the measure will be part of the dashboard report component. 2. RankX/TopN are just the stepping stone so I can perform ABC analysis to monitor the stockout status in each category/store. utimately i will add the time intelligence to the measure for better usability.  ie. among 500 stores only these x stores stockout the these topN products for past z days.

Wednesday, February 3, 2016 10:19 PM
  • Hello Michiel

Are you referring to the [Rank] measure? if so the formula doesnt work after the All(SKU) replaced with TOPN.

With current measure [Count of Top 2 SKU with 0 qty in each store] will result like this:

Store Count of Top 2 Sku with 0 qty in each store
    Store1
    B2 1
    D4 1
    Store2
    C3 1
    Store3
    B2 1
    D4 1
    Grand Total 2

However, I know item B2 is not the Top2 SKU. So i'm expecting the one below:

Store1
    C3 1
    D4 1
    Store2
    C3 1
    Store3
    D4 1
    Grand Total 2

Wednesday, February 3, 2016 10:46 PM
  • No, I was referring to my formula, not yours:

COUNTROWS(CALCULATETABLE(FILTER(SKUs,[CurrentStock]=0),TOPN(2,ALL(SKUs),[Sales])))

It would help to show what the result is with this formula. You say it doesn't return the expected results, but what does it return? I don't have the model here...

Thursday, February 4, 2016 7:09 AM
    Answerer