Matroska (mkv) support RRS feed

• General discussion

• Heya,

I'm wondering if Microsoft or anyone else out there is working on Matroska container support for Media Foundation? Most Matroska files use the h264 codec and that codec is available in Windows 7, however, currently we still have to install a Matroska splitter and DirectShow based codecs to get .mkv files to play in Media Center or Windows Media Player. None of the splitters I could find will talk to MF, only DirectShow.

The Matroska container format is an open spec and all of the details are available here: http://www.matroska.org/technical/specs/

It really is a nice container format. It supports multiple audio/video streams, multiple subtitle streams, chapters and apparently DVD-style menus though I have never seen a Matroska file with that feature.

Since it is an open spec, there are several splitters available for DirectShow but none that I can find for Media Foundation. Matroska is currently the most popular container format on the net right now for HD content so I was quite surprised to find out that the PDC build of Windows 7 didn't support the format.

There's definitely a need for MKV support in Media Foundation, just take a look at the posts on the Green Button about all the problems people have getting MKV's to work in Vista currently. It seems to me that including MKV support in Windows 7 would be a major selling point for Media Center type folks.

Anyway, since I wasn't able to find any splitters for MF, I started looking at a few of the open source splitters out there with the plan of getting one of them ported from DirectShow to Media Foundation, however, my lack of C++ skills (I'm a C#/Media Center AddIn guy (fix the TV Pack)) combined with the lack of migration documentation are making it quite frustrating.

I've looked at both the Media Foundation SDK and the DirectShow SDK and the "Migrating from DirectShow to Media Foundation" whitepaper, and I've not really been able to find a decent "How-To" type document on how to do such a migration. So I guess my question is, is it even possible to port something like a splitter from DS to MF or would a task like that require way too much new code for someone with the lack of experience like myself to even attempt?

Thanks!

Tuesday, November 25, 2008 5:05 AM

All replies

• Not working on it, but agree- that would be great if there was Matroska container support in Windows 7..
    Thursday, December 4, 2008 9:25 PM
  • I plan on doing some MF filters based on ffmpeg sometime next year (if somebody else doesn't beat me to it), basically filling in the gap between what's in Vista and 7 and what people need.

John

Friday, December 19, 2008 1:58 PM