none
Can I Set The Build Tool For a File Per Configuration Anymore?

Question

• Just recently updated a solution from VS 2008 to 2013 and noticed something strange.

In the solution, we've defined some custom configurations.  Let's just call them 'Config1' and 'Config2' for the sake of this question.

In VS 2008, I can go to the properties for one of the files in the project, then to Configuration Properties->General, and set "Tool" to "C/C++ Compiler Tool" for Config1, and "Tool" to "Custom Build Tool" for Config2.  VS 2008 is fine with this.  No problem.

However, this doesn't seem possible in 2013.  In Configuration Properties->General, I can set "Item Type" to either "C/C++ compiler" or "Custom Build Tool", but the setting seems to stay sticky across configurations.  That is, I can't set it on a per-configuration basis.

Is this a bug, or by design?  I liked being able to set the build tool of a file per configuration and would like to get this capability back if possible.  Is there a solution or workaround?

Thanks.

Friday, May 20, 2016 11:24 PM

Answers

• Hi my friend,

Thank you for posting in MSDN forum.

For your question, I reproduced these two situation successfully you mentioned both on VS 2008 and VS 2013,

As you guess, in the In Configuration Properties->General, setting "Item Type" stays sticky across configurations and it is designed by default.

But your suggestion is very important for us, I suggest you to submit this suggestion to UserVoiceMicrosoft engineers will evaluate them seriously, thanks.

Best Regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, May 23, 2016 8:52 AM