none
How know Kinect runtime version in C/C++ code? How know runtime requirements for specific APIs? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello. How can I in C/C++ code determine the current Kinect runtime version that is installed?

I also request that the SDK documentation be upgraded to include the runtime version required for it to work. For example, all of the new INuiCoordinateMapper functionality requires at least v1.6. Yet, I can do some of this using a v1.5 runtime. Knowing what runtime is required for a given API allows a developer like myself to make educated choices on APIs and gracefully degrade functionality.

--Dale

Thursday, October 11, 2012 4:57 PM

Answers

All replies

• ping. Any answers from Microsoft?

--Dale

Friday, November 16, 2012 12:55 PM
  • You can try the following: 

Get the runtime DLL module with: LoadLibrary("Kinect10.dll")

Retrieve the file path using: GetModuleFileName()

Get the file version using: GetFileVersionInfo()

Look at the product version.

Saturday, November 17, 2012 2:34 AM
  • Thank you for replying. Interesting answer. Is this reliable as a method going forward?

Will I get the same DLL with loadlibrary() that is/will be used to satisfy the API calls?

Will the filename always be named kinect10.dll (perhaps SDK v2 will have kinect20.dll)?

If it isn't always named kinect10.dll, how will I reliably know which DLL to loadlibrary() such that the same DLL will be used to satisfy the API calls. e.g., two SDKs/runtimes installed, or kinect10.dll and kinect20.dll are in the search path.

Could this be combined w/ an approach using INuiSensor::QueryInterface? e.g. NuiGetForceInfraredEmitterOff first appeared in SDKv1.6. Perhaps I can somehow use this knowledge to test if that API exists and if it does can imply that the runtime installed must be at least SDK v1.6. Of course, then having to track that API for potential later deprecation.

--Dale

Sunday, November 18, 2012 12:21 PM
  • great questions / suggestions..... I'll bring this up with the runtime PM. We've had many requests for this
    Monday, November 19, 2012 12:29 AM