none
What's the problem if the target has no Product Type RRS feed

• Question

• I am going to get the signing .cat file of a INF file. When I select my device, the HCK choosed test cases automatically. However the 'Product Type' is missing.

My question is that can I get the signing .cat file after all test cases passed with the 'Product Type' being missing?

Regards, Wenbin

Friday, November 2, 2012 8:36 AM

Answers

• Product type is not important if your goal is get the driver signed.

Product types are matched based on the features detected (and selected).  Each product type has a set of features listed which are used to match with the detected features.  When all the features in the product type are match with the targets listed features the product type will be listed for the project.

Paul - This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, November 2, 2012 5:07 PM
  • In order to receive a Window’s Hardware Certification status it’s required that the product submits under a product type.   If there is no product type available the product can submit under the other category (Unclassified) for a digital signature only.  For a few categories partners are required to manually add the product type.    

How to handle a product type mismatch in HCK Studio

Question: When I select my device, the Product types summary in the right pane doesn't display the product type that I want to certify. What should I do?

Answer: Sometimes, features that are required for a product type aren't automatically detected on a device. In those cases, you must manually select the missing feature(s) that correspond to your product type. After all of the features have been selected, the product type appears. When you add features to your selection, the tests that are required for those features are automatically added to your list of tests.

To manually configure a product type

1. Find your product type in the HCK      Product Type Test Matrix.
    2. Determine the list of features that are required for      your product type.
    3. In the Selection tab in HCK Studio, right-click your      selection to see a list of features. The check boxes for features that      have been automatically detected display as selected.

Select the check box for any missing feature that corresponds to your product type.

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, November 29, 2012 8:48 PM

All replies

• Product type is not important if your goal is get the driver signed.

Product types are matched based on the features detected (and selected).  Each product type has a set of features listed which are used to match with the detected features.  When all the features in the product type are match with the targets listed features the product type will be listed for the project.

Paul - This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, November 2, 2012 5:07 PM
  • Paul, 

On the Testing Concepts page, under Product Type, there's following: 

To receive Windows Hardware Certification, a product must implement all of the features of at least one product type.

Are you saying I will still be able to receive the WHC, even if no product type is selected?

Thank you. 

Tuesday, November 27, 2012 8:15 PM
  • In order to receive a Window’s Hardware Certification status it’s required that the product submits under a product type.   If there is no product type available the product can submit under the other category (Unclassified) for a digital signature only.  For a few categories partners are required to manually add the product type.    

How to handle a product type mismatch in HCK Studio

Question: When I select my device, the Product types summary in the right pane doesn't display the product type that I want to certify. What should I do?

Answer: Sometimes, features that are required for a product type aren't automatically detected on a device. In those cases, you must manually select the missing feature(s) that correspond to your product type. After all of the features have been selected, the product type appears. When you add features to your selection, the tests that are required for those features are automatically added to your list of tests.

To manually configure a product type

1. Find your product type in the HCK      Product Type Test Matrix.
    2. Determine the list of features that are required for      your product type.
    3. In the Selection tab in HCK Studio, right-click your      selection to see a list of features. The check boxes for features that      have been automatically detected display as selected.

Select the check box for any missing feature that corresponds to your product type.

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, November 29, 2012 8:48 PM
  • Thank you for your reply.

I had seen the matrix before. Unfortunately, I can't select anything in the Product Type. The device I'm working with is a PCI motion control board. What type would you suggest I use? 

Thanks.

Friday, November 30, 2012 12:15 AM