content query web part to show picture RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I have a picture library within Sharepoint2007 and want to surface the Pictures on a custom page using Content Query Web Part. I want to show the picture "Title", "Description", and "Thumbnail" as Default style. Can I do this without touching the itemstye.xsl ? Many thanks!
    SW
    • Moved by Mike Walsh FIN Wednesday, July 13, 2011 10:05 AM not general (From:SharePoint - General Question and Answers and Discussion (pre-SharePoint 2010))
    Wednesday, July 13, 2011 7:49 AM

All replies

• Hi Sindy,

It sounds like you want a customized view of the Picture Library's AllItems.aspx. If so, select the relevant Library under "View All Site Content", then click All Pictures (next to "View", at the far right on the Menu Bar). You will have the option of creating a new view, where you can select the type of view (I would assume "Standard"), then choose the fields you want to display.

Best Wishes,

Eric

Thursday, July 14, 2011 1:15 AM
  • Thanks for your feedback Eric.  The pciture library is from a sub-site and I want to surface the picture list on the Top Level site Home Page.  I am using a Content Query Web Part to do this.  By default, the Content Query Web Part will only return "Title" for content type != pages.  I have managed to retreive the "Description" of the picture library items, but not having much fun with the Thumbnail.  I don't have access to ItemStyle.xsl , so can only do it with export and importing the web-part.  Any idea?

Many thanks!

SW
    Thursday, July 14, 2011 5:24 AM
  • Hi Sindy,

I wonder how it would look if you create the custom view, then display it on the top level Home Page in a Page Viewer Web Part?

I haven't worked with any of them, but there are also 3rd party picture slideshow and gallery web parts, as well as solutions using JavaScript. You may be able to work with one of these to meet your needs.

Good luck,

Eric

Thursday, July 14, 2011 1:28 PM
  • I'm not a big fan of the CQWP because it's not very flexible. I don't think you'll get what your looking for with it. You might want to try the Enhanced Content Query Webpart

http://ecqwp.codeplex.com/

or Alternatively, you could use some Jquery webservices or SPservices to pull the information from the subsite and display it however you want.

-tom daly
    Friday, July 15, 2011 6:19 PM
  • Well I would creaate a data view webpart & read the list base on my logic wat to show & what not to show... this will be a better approch & will give you better xpath querying oppurtunities which CQWP will not..

Give it a thought

Happy Sharepointing... Regards SPTECH07
    Friday, July 15, 2011 8:20 PM
  • Well, it maybe an option to the situation, but not really an answer to my original question.  In my situation, the head office won't allow us to use Sharepoint designer and DataView webpart is not an option.
    SW
    Monday, July 25, 2011 3:52 AM
  • Hi,have your problem been solved?I encountered a same problem as yours and I wanna how did you solve it?

And what I want is the effect of hover as below.

Sunday, January 13, 2013 11:09 AM
  • Hi All,

Yes, you can get the image without touching itemstyle.xsl. I would suggest you to follow the below steps.

Step1 --> Please export the CQWP to your physical drive.

Step2 --> Edit the CQWP --> Export -->Save --> Open the webpart using SPD --> edit the CommonViewField tag

<property name="CommonViewFields" type="image">your_image_field, Image</property>

If it's not helping please let us know

Sekar - Our life is short, so help others to grow

Whenever you see a reply and if you think is helpful, click "Alternate TextVote As Helpful"! And whenever you see a reply being an answer to the question of the thread, click "Alternate TextMark As Answer

Tuesday, January 15, 2013 1:34 PM