How do I get the tools to start developing windows 8 phone applications? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all

I would kindly like to ask some advice on obtaining the software in creating applications for windows mobile.

My problem is I have windows 8 - but honestly I cannot afford the full visual studio 2012 suite. (Although I would LOVE to have the full suite in future J!!).

I was told that there are free versions for "code for fun" guys like me but I am rather new to the windows mobile applications development scene and would greatly appreciate some guidance on the matter. And how I can get cracking.

Kind regards,

geo

Thursday, December 13, 2012 5:59 AM

All replies

• Hello geo

well if you are student you are lucky you can get visual studio and other Microsoft free from

www.dreamspark.com

but if you are not student still you can download express version to develop windows phone 8 applications for free

https://dev.windowsphone.com/en-us/downloadsdk

• Proposed as answer by Rajai Joudeh Thursday, December 13, 2012 6:41 AM
    Thursday, December 13, 2012 6:41 AM
  • Do you see the link at the top left of the page that says "Get SDK"? Click it.

For the record, Windows Mobile is an entirely different platform than Windows Phone. Be careful when asking questions. Otherwise, people may send you to the windows mobile forums by mistake.

Thursday, December 13, 2012 6:42 AM
  • Hi Rajah

Thank you for the reply.

I will investigate your suggestions. Thnak you very much.

Kind regards

Geo

Thursday, December 13, 2012 7:34 AM
  • Hi Dave

Thank you for the advice.

Well as I said, I am new to the platform. If I may ask what the diffrence is between windows mobile and windows phone?

Which of the two is the associated in writing application to the windows mobile application store?

kind regards,

geo

Thursday, December 13, 2012 7:36 AM
  • Windows Mobile stopped at version 6.5 several years ago.  There is no Marketplace for Windows Mobile any more.

Windows Phone is used these days.  Use the "Get SDK" link above as suggested to download the Windows Phone SDK.

You say have Windows 8.  Do you have the version that will support Windows Phone 8?  The Windows Phone 8 SDK requires Windows 8 64-bit.  To use the Windows Phone emulator, you will need Windows 8 Pro 64-bit and a CPU with SLAT support (usually a Intel Core-i3 or above will have this).  Use this guide to determine if your CPU has the required features.  This will allow you to develop apps for Windows Phone 7.5 or 8.0.  The Windows Phone 8 SDK comes with Visual Studio 2012 Express.

If you don't have the requirements for the Windows Phone 8 SDK, you can still use the Windows Phone 7.1 SDK with 7.1.1 update to develop apps for Windows Phone 7.5.  It has much lower system requirements.  The Windows Phone 7.1 SDK comes with Visual Studio 2010 Express for Windows Phone.

Thursday, December 13, 2012 10:54 AM
  • Hi Steve

Excellent. Thank you for the detailed advice and instructions.

I will investigate.

Kind regards,

geo

Thursday, December 13, 2012 11:41 AM