none
Synchronization problems between Outlook 2007 and SharePoint 2010 Calendar RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to debug why our Outlook 2007 clients seem to use old, out-of-date local cache items when modifying SharePoint 2010 calendar events.

We're developing a SharePoint 2010 portal that is being accessed from Outlook 2007 clients. In particular, we've set up a simple calendar in SharePoint that's being used by a team of individuals across the enterprise with Outlook 2007. In general, everything works, but we continually get Calendar event conflicts when users edit items. Consider the following scenario:

1. Oscar Lane (OL) edits a calendar item in Outlook 2007 that is hosted in a SharePoint 2010 calendar and saves the event.
    2. Suzy Peters (SP) edits the same event using the SharePoint web interface a little later and changes something easily noticeable such as title and location.
    3. Oscar views his Outlook calendar a few minutes later in preview mode (normal day-view of the calendar) and notices that the title and location changed. Oscar double-clicks the entry to open it, BUT OUTLOOK POPS UP THE OLD VERSION OF THE EVENT FROM STEP 1.

No matter what I do, I can't force Outlook to re-fetch the calendar event. It clearly has the information that was updated because it shows it in preview mode, but it seems to be stuck on the old version of item when opening the item for editing. Send/Receive All (F9), this folder, custom group, etc. -- all seem to ignore the refresh cycle and keep the event. If Oscar continues to edit the item and save it, he will eventually trigger one of two errors. Either "This item cannot be saved because it was changed by another user or in another window" or "You made changes to another copy of this item. This is the most recent version. Click here to see the other versions." In many situations, this might happen silently and the conflict or disconnect doesn't become evident until later. After that, Oscar can eventually get it to throw away the old copy and use the new copy by copy/paste between the even in the SharePoint Lists conflict folder and the calendar. The only other ways I've found to force it to resync and ignore old copies is 1) restart Outlook, or 2) start to forward the event to someone (at which point it triggers and error and you can go edit the item).

This seems like a bug in Outlook 2007, but I'm sure MS will just say "Get Outlook 2010" and not have any kind of fix invented. Coincidentally, Outlook 2010 seems to work fine. Unfortunately, our enterprise isn't scheduled to upgrade to 2010 soon enough for this to be relevant and telling my users to wait isn't exactly a valid answer.  I've scoured the internet and can't find much to indicate how to address this problem.

Can anyone point me in a direction that I can either force Outlook to sync the right events or at least debug why this is happening?

Rich

Monday, January 16, 2012 8:37 PM

All replies

• Have you set 'break role inheritance' on that calendar list in sharepoint (so each list item/appointment has its own permissions)? Please verify this.
    Tuesday, January 17, 2012 9:51 AM
  • I have not done anything to specifically set list permissions. The list itself is inheriting from parent. Similarly, the child items do not have any specific permissions set with them and are simply inheriting from parent.

Do you suspect permissions could somehow affect Outlook's process for displaying/editing items?

Rich

Rich Mills Senior Consultant | Coveros, Inc.
    Tuesday, January 17, 2012 6:07 PM
  • yes, there is a bug/feature/side effect that sharepoint<->outlook communication is somewhat broken on GetListItemChangesSinceToken (which is used by outlook to determine if items were changed in sharepoint) and sharepoint reports it incorrectly when each item has independent permission set.

If however this is not the case, use fiddler to see http traffic, normally it should be like this:

1. user edits appointment in outlook

2. user presses save/send etc.

3. outlook uses GetChangesSinceToken web service call to see what items changed

4 if your item (either directly or indirectly, i.e. master item changed for recurring event) changed, your local changes are not sent to sharepoint (but are preserved locally)

So use fiddler, compare traffic of working and not working scenario and see where seems to be the problem (is sharepoint returning proper data or not)

Wednesday, January 18, 2012 8:04 AM
  • Hello Rich,

Please let me know your Outlook client Build with Service Pack. Test the behavioe with latest update.

Regards,

Vijay Dev [MSFT]

Wednesday, January 18, 2012 2:42 PM
  • We are running Outlook 2007 (12.0.6562.5003) SP2 MSO as part of MS Professional Plus 2007. The enterprise system guys maintain the deployed updates, but I was under the impression that they try to stay fairly up-to-date. However, in scouring MS download site, I notice there is a SP3 update for Office 2007, so that's clearly not true. I'm going to pull that down and try it.

What is the best way to figure out what the "absolute latest" is?

If you know of any patches/updates that I should use, let me know and I can load them on my development box outside the central administrator-controlled IT policy and see if it makes a difference.

Rich

Rich Mills Senior Consultant | Coveros, Inc.
    Monday, January 23, 2012 4:46 PM
  • Hello Rich,

This may help you..

How to install the latest applicable updates for Microsoft Outlook (US English only)

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2625547

Regards,

Vijay Dev 

• Proposed as answer by Bruce Song Thursday, February 2, 2012 2:21 AM
    Tuesday, January 24, 2012 6:14 PM
  • Hello Rich,

As there is has been no activity since 24th, we are closing this thred for now. Please revert back to us if you need further assistance regarding the same.

Regards,

Vijay Dev [MSFT]

Wednesday, February 8, 2012 12:06 PM