Refresh Model in Visio 2007 duplicating unique indexes RRS feed

• Question

• I'm running Visio 2007 SP1 against SQL Server 2005 SP2.  I used the reverse engineer function to bring all the tables into Visio.  I made changes in the database through SQL Server and ran the refresh model option to bring the chnages into my visio diagram.  Visio found changes to several tables I did not touch and well as all the ones I did change.  The lookup tables it listed as changed all have a unique index on a single column.  After the refresh each of these columns had another unique index listed.  I have tried re-starting Visio 2007 to re-run the refresh and now have 3 unique indexes listed.  How can I avoid this?
    Thursday, January 31, 2008 5:22 PM

All replies

• I'm having the same problem.
    Wednesday, November 26, 2008 8:52 PM
  • I, too, am having the same problem, although I am running against SQL Server 2000 (I've seen this behavior with SQL 2005, though). For any table with a non-PK unique index (i.e., on a Name field), Visio, upon refreshing the model, generates multiple copies of the same index (i.e., U1, U2, etc. - all with the same Index Name under the Database Properties->Indexes tab). I am getting quite tired of having to manually delete all of these bogus duplicate indexes every time I do a database refresh (which can happen many times per day).

Would someone from the Visio team (or anyone who knows how to prevent this behavior) please respond to this thread?

Friday, July 31, 2009 8:25 PM
  • Same here, and it's very frustrating!
    Friday, April 16, 2010 6:25 PM
  • Same problem here with Visio 2007 and Sql Server 2008.  Any workaround? Solution? 
    Wednesday, August 4, 2010 2:42 PM
  • There are some workaround solution as following (Source from website):

Manually seek out the tables with unique indexes and remove each duplicate in turn.  And make sure you don't run refresh Model on these tables. 

Hope it can help you.

Peace Through Tyranny
    Friday, August 27, 2010 5:05 PM
  • I am experiencing the same problem with Visio 2010 and PostgreSQL.  Very frustrating, because the schema I am working with is too large for manual removal and re-addition to be a practical workaround.
    Wednesday, October 6, 2010 3:52 PM
  • Wow.. first reported Jan 2008 and its *still* a problem?  I guess Microsoft doesn't want us to use or recommend this tool..  This should NOT be an issue!  I can't believe this passed their tests....

Monday, October 18, 2010 10:12 PM
  • Alas, if this is still an issue with Visio 2010, then there's NO WAY we can justify our upgrading from 2007, even though 2007 doesn't support reverse engineering from SQL 2008 without Generic OLE DB datatype-less jiggery-pokery workarounds (obviously a business decision, rather than a technical one) - especially considering that there's no upgrade path from 2007, just full $$.

I don't know if this is evidence of MS's withdrawing support from Visio as a DB tool (perhaps hoping we'll just use SSMS's painfully slow, borderline unreadable, one-wrong-click-and-you're-screwed diagramming tool), or simply of MS's disdain for those of us toiling with their tools without enterprise-grade support contracts, but the message is clear: Find a different DB diagramming tool (ERWin, TOAD, RedGate, Altova, DeZign for DB, etc.).

Friday, April 1, 2011 2:29 PM
  • As of 4/10/2012, Visio Premium 2010, Version 14.0.6112.5000 (32-bit) still have the same problem (working with Microsoft SQL server 2008).

MSDN IMI

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 5:43 PM
  • I have been refreshing from Visio Professional 2010 on a Sql2005 database and it has been working fine until now, but now I am seeing this bug.  Three things just changed. 

1) We had been making the database schema changes in Management Studio and this time we deployed the database schema from a Visual Studio database project. 

2) The tables are now using calculated fields like ALTER TABLE [dbo].[ThisTable] ADD [OtherTableCount] AS ([dbo].[ThisTableOtherTableCount]([ThisTableID])) where ThisTableOtherTableCount is a scalar-value function.

3) I had been using the Generic OLE DB Provider, but then I used the Microsoft SQL Server driver.  I now get this behaviour using either driver.

Could those changes have anything to do with bringing out this buggy behaviour?

Friday, June 15, 2012 8:45 PM
  • Visio Pro 2010 version 14.0.7116.5000 against SQL Server 2008 R2 SP1 version 10.50.2500.0 still a problem. I've been putting up with this thorough multiple versions of Visio and SQL Server for years and have pretty much given up hope that it will ever be fixed.
    Thursday, May 15, 2014 9:40 PM