none
App Categorized as Free, but needs to be Free-to-Try First

Question

• I have an app called Music Player that was categorized as free but should have been categorized as free to try.

I have resubmitted it as a free trial (that never expires) but prospective customers are saying they are unable to try the app out without paying for it.  (It would appear that it is possible to successfully purchase, as I see from the dashboard that at least one customer has done so.)

I really need this app to be free-to-try, rather than just free because it is the only version that gets decent downloads.  (Other versions get downloaded less than 100 times in a year.)

Can a Windows Store developer possibly investigate, and if necessary reset this app so that folks can install and try it, before purchasing it?

In my attempts to test this, I have noticed that if I tap "install" very quickly before the 'Try" and "Buy" buttons appear, the Windows Store first hangs.  On my second attempt, I am able to then install the app if I tap "install" before the "Try" and "Buy" buttons appear.

I really appreciate your help with this.  It could be my only chance at decent earnings for this app and decent earnings from the Windows Store in general.

Thank you very much!

Sincerely,
    Roark Dority

(You can search the Windows Store for Roark to find Music Player, which is the app in question, not Music Player Free or Music Player Plus).

Monday, May 26, 2014 4:38 PM

Answers

• Have you set the app to be paid and ticked the 'free trial' checkbox when submitting? Have you allowed a few days for the changes to roll through the store?

Note: if you already downloaded the totally free version you own the full version of the app regardless of the price change, so anybody who downloaded it when it was free can download the full version without paying now.

If the problem is not related to the above you should raise a support ticket with Microsoft directly.

You might also consider making the app free and use an in-app purchase instead of a free trial/paid model.

I'm a self-taught noob amateur. Please take this into account when responding to my posts or when taking advice from me.

Tuesday, May 27, 2014 12:34 AM

All replies

• Surely there are others who have changed categories from free to free-to-try, only to experience this situation.

I think I better change the category back to free, for the time being so no one in the Windows Store is upset by this. 

I could still really use some help with this because I would like to be able to resubmit the app as try before you buy.

Help!

Monday, May 26, 2014 9:05 PM
  • Have you set the app to be paid and ticked the 'free trial' checkbox when submitting? Have you allowed a few days for the changes to roll through the store?

Note: if you already downloaded the totally free version you own the full version of the app regardless of the price change, so anybody who downloaded it when it was free can download the full version without paying now.

If the problem is not related to the above you should raise a support ticket with Microsoft directly.

You might also consider making the app free and use an in-app purchase instead of a free trial/paid model.

I'm a self-taught noob amateur. Please take this into account when responding to my posts or when taking advice from me.

Tuesday, May 27, 2014 12:34 AM
  • Thank you for responding. I don't believe I set the app up to be paid but also checked the 'free' checkbox, but I am human so it is possible.

I'm the developer but someone who has never even installed the app, wasn't able to, without clicking the Buy button.

In testing the app, I did install it (when it was categorized as 'free') and consequently I now 'own' it.  Despite this, I was still presented with something similar to what others are experiencing.  That is, we see the 'Try' or 'Install' button but only the 'Buy' button seems active.

I actually 'tricked' it into letting me re-install, by quickly tapping the 'install' button just as soon as it came up, right before the 'Buy' button appears.  The store hangs, but when I repeated this process once more, the app installed.

However I doubt any prospective customer will be willing to go through all that!  lol

Thank you for the response.  I may consider raising a support ticket and I really appreciate your help so far!

Tuesday, May 27, 2014 6:35 PM