Refresh All OK but Refresh one table not ok if related tables? RRS feed

• General discussion

• Dear all, it looks like I am missing something...

I am using PowerPivot from 2008 R2 for Excel 2010.

I have a table (detail) that references another table (master) and I declared a few additional columns as =RELATED(...).

If I "Refresh All", everything is fine but if I only refresh the "detail" table, all my "related" columns show error.

To fix this, I need to manually remove and re-create the relation between these two tables.

I tried refreshing the master table, then the detail table but still related columns show Error...

Am I missing something?

Eric

Eric Mamet _ MCDBA, SQL Server 2005 MCTS, MCAD .Net
    Tuesday, December 13, 2011 10:49 AM

All replies

• Hi Eric,

In order to further troubleshoot this issue, could you please give more detail information, what's your whole DAX query? what's the relationship between these tables? If possible, could you please upload your Excel file to https://skydrive.live.com/, then I can easily try to troubleshoot the root cause.

Thanks,
    Challen Fu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Thursday, December 15, 2011 7:34 AM
  • HI Challen,

I have uploaded two files in there:

- EricPivotBeforeRefresh.xlsx is my spreadsheet with the correct data

- EricPivotAfterRefresh.xlsx is the same spreadsheet after refreshing just the "Outlets" powerpivot table

This table contains a few columns with simple DAX definitions like "=RELATED(Accounts[Territory])".

All these columns now show #ERROR while if I do a complete refresh, it all goes back to normal.Another way to fix it is to remove the relationship between Outlets and Accounts and recreated exactly the same.

I have never used skydrive live before so let me know if you need something to access these files. I think I made them public...

:-)

• Edited by EricLeBouffon Thursday, December 15, 2011 8:51 AM removed formatting
    Thursday, December 15, 2011 8:48 AM
  • Hi,

If you make them public, just paste their URL in the forum is ok. Could you please share with us the file's URL?

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Monday, December 19, 2011 7:12 AM
  • https://skydrive.live.com/#cid=A8E5AA380811BBF0&id=A8E5AA380811BBF0%21117

Can you use that?

Monday, December 19, 2011 9:44 PM
  • Hi Eric,

I can access the file at your link, then I try to reproduce your issue. But it seems that I will receive error message due to datasource permission if I click the refresh button, I try to reproduce the same scenario as yours in my environment, I also create several calculated columns using Related function, no matter which refresh button I click, it works very well. So here I would recommend you just click the button of RefreshAll to workaround the issue. If you can share your datasource, I can troubleshoot the issue furtherly. If this is inconvenient for this sharing, besides getting the reason is quite urgent, we would recommend the customer go to http://support.microsoft.com for some prompt support.

Tuesday, December 20, 2011 8:54 AM
  • Challen,

I have added a backup of that database (very small) as a zip file.

There is no big rushbecause I do indeed have a workaround (Refresh all) but I would like to understand what the issue might be, just in case I did something I should not...

Cheers

Eric

Tuesday, December 20, 2011 11:02 AM
  • I am not sure what action you have done to the workbook, I create a new PowerPivot workbook and import the table, can create the caculated column, it works very well if I click the refresh button.

Thursday, December 22, 2011 5:57 AM
  • I agree...

This is precisely because I have no idea what went/is going wrong that I asked.

From what I can see, it "should" work indeed... but it does not!

Is it a "bug"?

Thursday, December 22, 2011 12:44 PM
  • Eric,

Is this still an issue?

If it is a bug, please submit it on Connect.

Thank you!

Ed Price, SQL Server Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Answer an interesting question? Create a wiki article about it!

Sunday, November 3, 2013 10:02 PM