none
.net framework 4.0 service fail to start after installing SQL Server 2005 RRS feed

• Question

• I have the following deployment on a "Windows 2008 R2 Standard SP 1" Server.

1. .Net framework 4.0

2. SQL Server 2005 SP4

.Net framework 4.0 is installed successfully and service is started normally. However once SQL Server 2005 is installed (without further installing SQL server 2005 SP4), the .Net framework 4.0 service (Microsoft .Net Framework NGEN v4.0.30319_X64) fail to start then. I try to start the service in the Service Panel but still fail. No specific error being shown in Event Viewer, only "Microsoft .Net Framework NGEN v4.0.30319_X64 entered the stop state" is logged in Application category of Event Viewer as a Level of Information. Any suggestion?

I have post the same question in SQL Server forum but no reply, thought that I may post in a wrong forum. Sorry for any inconvenience cause but I need to solve this problem to further proceed my project.

Thanks a lot

Monday, July 25, 2011 2:56 AM

Answers

• Hi Devcac,

Thank you for your post.

Actually, by default, the .Net framework 4.0 service (Microsoft .Net Framework NGEN v4.0.30319_X64) starts automatically. The native image service is a Windows service that generates and maintains native images. The native image service allows the developer to defer the installation and update of native images to periods when the computer is idle.

The NGen queue supports a simple priority scheme to help establish the order in which applications are pre-compiled when submitting multiple jobs to the queue. The priorities also determine whether the service should wait for idle time on the machine to do the background compilation.
    When the service detects that there are no more actions queued, it resets its status so that it will not restart the next time the computer is booted, and then it shuts itself down.

You said you have started the service in the Service Panel but still fail. Could you please let me know how did it fail?

You find this problem started to occur after you have installed SQL Server 2005. Would you try to uninstall SQL Server 2005 to check if the issue still occurs?

First, I recommend you uninstall SQL Server 2005 to check whether this problem still occurs. Second, I suggestion you repair .NET Framework 4. To do so: Start>>Control Panel>>Uninstall a program>>Find .NET Framework 4 Client Profile, and click Uninstall/Change>>Select Repair .NET Framework 4 Client Profile to its original status. If this problem still occurs, I recommend you uninstall .NET Framework 4 and SQL Server 2005, then install them in this order: SQL Server 2005>>.NET Framework 4.

If you have any other concerns, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Alexander Sun [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Marked as answer by Alexander Sun Monday, August 8, 2011 9:31 AM
    Friday, July 29, 2011 3:09 AM