none
DO I REALLY NEED ALL THIS? RRS feed

• Question

•  I have Win XP home edition computer. The following is what I am referring to. Would like some help with this Thanks!

Microsoft.NETFramework  2.0 Service Pack2.0

MS.NET Framework 3.0 Service Pack 2

MS.NET Framework 3.5 SP1

MS Visual C ++2005 Redistributable

MS Visual C ++2005 Redist

MS Visual C++ 2008 Redist- x86

MS Visual C++ 2008 Redist- x86

2 more of the above

MSXML 6 Service Pack 2

Win XP Service Pack ( with no size /or support)

So there you have it.. Could you please tell me what all of this is and why do I need it? THANK YOU!

Thursday, February 12, 2015 10:35 PM

Answers

• I'm going to assume you're not a software developer, and that you did not explicitly install any of these packages yourself. The following comments are based on this assumption.

What looks like three different .NET Frameworks really is only one. 2.0 is the base, full, framework and 3.0 and 3.5 are extensions of 2.0. These were probably installed as part of install procedures for programs on your system.

Same goes for the various C++ redistributables. They normally are there to support programs you've installed on your system.

As far as "Win XP Service Pack" is concerned, I remember that issue. Somehow the title was released missing the 3. What you have there is Service Pack 3 for Windows XP.

I hope the description above tells you why you need the packages you listed. They support the programs you use. Remove them at your own risk (seriously, removing any of them would probably cause some of your programs to stop working, so please don't.).

Friday, February 13, 2015 2:15 AM
  • Hi,

For Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable: contain runtime components of Visual C++ Libraries required to run applications developed with Visual C++ on a computer that does not have Visual C++ 2005 installed. lt contain runtime components of C Runtime (CRT), Standard C++, ATL, MFC, OpenMP and MSDIA libraries.

For Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable: contain runtime components of Visual C++ Libraries required to run applications developed with Visual C++ on a computer that does not have Visual C++ 2008 installed.

For .NET framework: lt  is an integral part of many applications running on Windows and provides common functionality for those applications to run. This download is for people who need .NET to run an application on their computer. For developers, the .NET Framework provides a comprehensive and consistent programming model for building applications that have visually stunning user experiences and seamless and secure communication.

Best Wishes!

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place. <br/> Click <a href="http://support.microsoft.com/common/survey.aspx?showpage=1&scid=sw%3Ben%3B3559&theme=tech"> HERE</a> to participate the survey.

Friday, February 13, 2015 5:19 AM

All replies

• Hi,

In this case, it depends on the software on your machine. If the software that you’ve installed on your machine needs them … well, then you need them. If it doesn’t, then you might not.

But given that they only appear on your machine if software that uses them is present, I would expect that you probably do need them. Both.

And leaving them in place is by far the safest thing to do.

Best Wishes!

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place. <br/> Click <a href="http://support.microsoft.com/common/survey.aspx?showpage=1&scid=sw%3Ben%3B3559&theme=tech"> HERE</a> to participate the survey.

Friday, February 13, 2015 1:55 AM
  • I'm going to assume you're not a software developer, and that you did not explicitly install any of these packages yourself. The following comments are based on this assumption.

What looks like three different .NET Frameworks really is only one. 2.0 is the base, full, framework and 3.0 and 3.5 are extensions of 2.0. These were probably installed as part of install procedures for programs on your system.

Same goes for the various C++ redistributables. They normally are there to support programs you've installed on your system.

As far as "Win XP Service Pack" is concerned, I remember that issue. Somehow the title was released missing the 3. What you have there is Service Pack 3 for Windows XP.

I hope the description above tells you why you need the packages you listed. They support the programs you use. Remove them at your own risk (seriously, removing any of them would probably cause some of your programs to stop working, so please don't.).

Friday, February 13, 2015 2:15 AM
  • Thank You for your answer Anne   that's why I have never deleted them.

I still don't know what their function is though.

Friday, February 13, 2015 5:00 AM
  • Yes everything you said is right. They support programs that I use. If I deleted one it could/would cause a fatality. NOT good! TY pvdg42
    Friday, February 13, 2015 5:03 AM
  • Hi,

For Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable: contain runtime components of Visual C++ Libraries required to run applications developed with Visual C++ on a computer that does not have Visual C++ 2005 installed. lt contain runtime components of C Runtime (CRT), Standard C++, ATL, MFC, OpenMP and MSDIA libraries.

For Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable: contain runtime components of Visual C++ Libraries required to run applications developed with Visual C++ on a computer that does not have Visual C++ 2008 installed.

For .NET framework: lt  is an integral part of many applications running on Windows and provides common functionality for those applications to run. This download is for people who need .NET to run an application on their computer. For developers, the .NET Framework provides a comprehensive and consistent programming model for building applications that have visually stunning user experiences and seamless and secure communication.

Best Wishes!

Friday, February 13, 2015 5:19 AM