What does Microsoft consider to be a "Windows 8 PC?"

Question

• When it comes to the idea of a Windows 8 PC, different people think fo different things. I am wondering, what is Microsoft's current definition of a Windows 8 PC? As an example, Microsoft once stated in a blog post that a Windows 8 PC is a new kind of device, but does that mean that Microsoft considers my existing PC to be a new kind of device just because I install Windows 8 on it?

In another post, Steven Sinofsky stated that there are no Windows 8 PC's currently. How is this possible? There are plenty of computers running Windows 8, so what, then, are the requirements for something being called a "Windows 8 PC?"

Friday, November 18, 2011 8:40 PM

All replies

• Steven Sinofsky stated that there are no Windows 8 PC's currently. How is this possible? There are plenty of computers running Windows 8, so what, then, are the requirements for something being called a "Windows 8 PC?"

In my case it would be having Touch available on my main monitor.   I have almost done what he predicted already--move to do something on that monitor with Touch and feel really silly as a result.   In other cases I have exploited Touch by throwing a window back to my Tablet, e.g. with Win-Shift-CursorRight, and then used it for more comfortable reading and scrolling.   Also, currently my main monitor is vertical but I suspect that for Touch it would need to be much more adjustable.

Robert
    ---

Friday, November 18, 2011 9:08 PM
  • This forum is about the building of Metro style apps. It has 8 sections, one of which deals with non-development related issues. It is noticeable that the non-development posts outnumber the Metro building posts by 2 to 1. I suspect that there are a quite a few who are here just to try W8 out (myself included) although a few might then go on to try programming. BTW if ever there was a hand up for an unemployed youngster, this is it.

So what does W8 need to be. Within the context of this forum it has to code and run Metro apps and interact with the desktop. I have found that some drivers and programs will not load or run although they do on W7. Whether this is due to changes in the OS or ommisions I have no idea. Certainly the programs I use most for posting (paint and notepad) are not there. I have installed and run Avid Studio though so it cannot be all bad.

If you want to build Metro apps - OK - but don't assume W8 is fully functional.

Friday, November 18, 2011 10:04 PM
  • Did I say anything about building Metro-style apps?

This particular forum is for "General OS questions," and is not about building Metro-style apps (despite being placed in that category).

Friday, November 18, 2011 10:28 PM
  • What I see is a forum

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/windowsapps

With a heading   Windows Metro style apps

The section under discussion is

Windows Developer Preview: General OS questions

When I boot into the OS it also says Windows Developer Preview. There is no mention of Windows 8 anywhere. What we are previewing then is a development tool for building metro style apps for Windows 8.

Of course all this is a bit arguable and what we are using may well be very close to W8 in all but name. However I would rather wait for the beta before musing on what Microsoft considers to be a W8 PC. Meanwhile continueing discussion may sway development this way or that a little bit but IMO once a company has a mindset with regard to its own agenda then nothing will shift it.

Saturday, November 19, 2011 2:18 AM
  • When I access this forum site, I type in http://win8.ms/forums. Win8 is clearly meant to stand for Windows 8. The Developer Preview clearly is Windows 8, but it is a working title - the final name will probably not be "Windows 8." That's why it's called 'Windows Developer Preview."
    Saturday, November 19, 2011 2:30 AM
  • the programs I use most for posting (paint and notepad) are not there

Would WordPad do as a substitute for paint?   Just start typing and if necessary add their .exe  (same as W7 for some cases.)

BTW  I'm seeing this while on W7 so I can't comment as completely about Paint as I might but  Notepad  is certainly there.   And FWIW I use it so often that I created a tile for it on my first page.   ; )

---

Saturday, November 19, 2011 2:51 AM
  • I haven't seen your link but have the one I quoted pinned in IE.

When I was using W7RC I didn't like (or properly understand) the library but enjoyed W7 in general so bought it at the prerelease offer. Now I always use the library. The same cannot be said of W8 (it's shorter) with it's Metro which gets in the way of what I would consider normal use. I installed Avid Studio yesterday, 2 icons on the desktop and 7 in metro including 5 uninstall buttons. I don't need them.

Saturday, November 19, 2011 2:52 AM