none
Will upcoming maintenance affect availability of files on locally redundant container?

Question

• Hi guys, 

My question is regarding to the planned maintenance for the next week on Virtual Machines and Cloud Services.

More details : http://aka.ms/Nztz01

During this period can i access the files stored on Cloud Storage using Locally Redundant replication? If not , will changing to Geo-Redundant replication help me access files during this period ? 

I need to be able to access image files via URL which are used by web application.

Thanks,

Muhamed

Saturday, June 6, 2015 6:06 PM

Answers

• Hi Muhamed,

If you are using an Azure VM to access the data in Azure Storage, please note the following statement from http://aka.ms/Nztz01Maintenance operations are split between virtual machines (VMs) that are and are not in an availability set. This maintenance will impact VMs in an availability set. VM deployments will reboot during this maintenance operation, but temporary storage disk contents will be retained. We expect the update to finish within 48 hours of the start time.
    Note: If you have a single VM in an availability set, it will still be impacted by this maintenance operation. In addition, all VMs in the same availability set are not taken down at the same time—these VMs are spread across five update domains.”

If you have a single VM in an availability set, it will be impacted.  We recommend using availability sets in your architecture.    If your application that is accessing the data in Azure Storage is not hosted on an Azure VM which is not part of the scheduled maintenance or  accessing your data directly from another platform such as from your desktop,  you will be able to access the file stored the Azure Storage during that period.  Hope this helps..

Aung

Sunday, June 7, 2015 4:52 AM

All replies

• Hi Muhamed,

If you are using an Azure VM to access the data in Azure Storage, please note the following statement from http://aka.ms/Nztz01Maintenance operations are split between virtual machines (VMs) that are and are not in an availability set. This maintenance will impact VMs in an availability set. VM deployments will reboot during this maintenance operation, but temporary storage disk contents will be retained. We expect the update to finish within 48 hours of the start time.
    Note: If you have a single VM in an availability set, it will still be impacted by this maintenance operation. In addition, all VMs in the same availability set are not taken down at the same time—these VMs are spread across five update domains.”

If you have a single VM in an availability set, it will be impacted.  We recommend using availability sets in your architecture.    If your application that is accessing the data in Azure Storage is not hosted on an Azure VM which is not part of the scheduled maintenance or  accessing your data directly from another platform such as from your desktop,  you will be able to access the file stored the Azure Storage during that period.  Hope this helps..

Aung

Sunday, June 7, 2015 4:52 AM
  • My application is hosted in Azure but in a different region which won't be affected by the maintenance so as you said i should be able to access the storage data.

Thank you.

Muhamed

Sunday, June 7, 2015 5:47 AM