none
Error when opening Internet Explorer window from script in Outlook Folder Homepage RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have applied a so-called Folder Homepage view in one of our Exchange Public Folders in Outlook 2013 (or 2016). The folder home page contains a script (javascript) which opens s separate browser window (Internet Explorer 11) for displaying some information when the user clicks a button on the page. Since a while ago, this script fails with an error message:

"The data area passed to a system call is too small."

The affected script in the PF homepage looks like this (invoked via a HTML button on the page):

<script type="text/javascript">
    function onClick() {
    var w = window.open("about:blank","_blank");
    w.document.write("some content");
    w.document.close();
    }
    </script>

Whereas this used to work in the past (a separate IE window opens with one tab showing "some content"), now this script throws an exception at the line where document.write is called. A separate IE window is still opened, but no content is written to it.

Thanks in advance for any ideas to what might be the cause!

matek994

Thursday, October 5, 2017 6:51 AM

All replies

• Hi Matse,

I made a test with Outlook 2016 with below simple html page, but I fail to reproduce your issue.

<!DOCTYPE html>
    <html>
    <head>
        <title></title>
    	<meta charset="utf-8" />
        <script type="text/javascript">
            function onClick() {
            var w = window.open("about:blank","_blank");
            w.document.write("some content");
            w.document.close();
            }
        </script>
    </head>
    <body>
        <button onclick="onClick()">Test</button>
    </body>
    </html>

To check whether it is related with your web site, I suggest you access the address which is Home Page of the Public Folder. Will you access the site correctly and will the button work correctly?

Where and how did you host the web site?

Per to the error message, I suggest you try to check whether below link is helpful to you.

# Error Message: Data Area Passed to a System Call Is Too Small.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-sg/help/249721/error-message-data-area-passed-to-a-system-call-is-too-small

Best Regards,

Edward

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, October 6, 2017 9:40 AM