none
outlook/word/excel/powerpoint addin fails to load at startup of app due to the loadbehavior getting changed from 3 to 0 RRS feed

• Question

• Opening the Com Addins setup you wills see that the addin is inactive. If you make the addin active, it will fuction until you close and reopen the application. Once the app is reopened, the addin will be inactive again.

What we find "fixes" it for a short time normally, is to search the regsitry for the name of the addin and you will find another location in the registry with a Key called LoadBehavior that is set to a value of 0. This value means to no load at startup of the application. The key will also exist in the normal location with a value of 3. It can be seen up to three different locations in the registry that have loadbehavior keys for the same addin.

This is not a key that is getting created by my application nor can we keep MS from creating the other keys. This seems due to some office updates which i am not sure. 

Can someone figure out what is happening? 

Thanks in advance

Friday, August 24, 2018 11:02 AM

All replies

• Hello katta,

Have you installed the hotfix as said in this blog: Deploying your VSTO add-ins to All Users

I think you could try to troubleshoot this issue by following the steps in this blog: Troubleshoot VSTO Add-In Load Failures

For more information, please review the following link: Load Behavior changes from 3 to 0? Addin not loading?

Best Regards,

Yuki

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread.

Monday, August 27, 2018 5:28 AM
  • Hi Yuki,

I use Office 2010 so the addins are automatically loaded into HKLM. This happens to few customers who have updated the office. The updates automatically create another path that has the loadbehavior turned to 0

it is strange as to why the updates are creating a new path.

Monday, August 27, 2018 6:47 AM
  • Hi katta,

Have you updated your office or system recently? If so, you can revert to the previous version and try again see if this problem still exists. If it is a problem that is caused by a product update, we will feedback to the product group to fix it. 

Best Regards,

Yuki

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread.

Monday, August 27, 2018 8:40 AM