Dsshost logging wrong time zone RRS feed

• Question

• I just updated to MS Robotics 4.0 and noticed that the log entries in Dsshost console are 7 hours off.

My current time zone is (UTC-7:00) Mountain Time and is correct for my location.

So, if DSS logs an entry at 13:00 hours (machine time) it logs as 20:00 hours to the console.

It didn't behave this way before.

Is there a new time zone configuration that I am missing?

If I change my time zone to a time zone that is not 7 hours off it still logs entries as GMT.

• Edited by Steve Messer Thursday, February 27, 2014 4:09 PM
    Tuesday, February 25, 2014 11:23 PM

All replies

• Steve,

I see you also started a support ticket for this issue.  I have been working with Product Support and they should follow up with you. 

As of now, it appears the change intentionally was made since the last release to use UTC time for logging as part of a change to a new internally logging model.  Using UTC time for all logging can alleviate certain kinds of problems.

I am not aware of any way to change or adjust this. 

-Gershon

Monday, March 3, 2014 5:41 PM
  • Gershon,

It may alleviate certain kinds of problems but it causes certain kinds of problems as well ;)

I can understand if you are logging across time zones, the country, or even the world that this would be a good option. We only log in a specific data center.

Now if a client sends us data at some time in the Mountain zone lets say 9:00 am and then the framework logs it as UTC. Now something bad happens, and a  human has to look at the logs to correlate when the data came in MST to what time it logged UTC you will always have to translate to figure out what happened.

It logged in local time zone for years. Seems it could have been made an option to use local time zone or not.

If you were the support guy getting woken up in the middle of the night to trouble shoot an issue I don't thing you would be wanting to do time zone math. 

It is just a pain when something changes after it has been a certain way for so long. The whole logging change should have been in a breaking changes section. Not only did the time zone of logging change but they also quit logging to the dsshost.exe console by default.

Anyways sorry for the rant. 

Thanks,

Steve

Tuesday, March 4, 2014 5:57 AM