License for using Media Foundation H.264 video decoder RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am a software developer. We are developing a PC application that can be used to decode H.264 video from legal video source providers. The technology we currently utilized is Microsoft Media Foundation, specifically the Media Foundation H.264 video decoder.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/desktop/medfound/h-264-video-decoder

I'd like to ask whether the H.264 decoder license fee is covered by Microsoft in this case, and can be used legally.

As I checked the License Terms of Windows 10:

H.264/AVC and MPEG-4 visual standards and VC-1 video standards. The software may include H.264/MPEG-4 AVC and/or VC-1 decoding technology. MPEG LA, L.L.C. requires this notice:

THIS PRODUCT IS LICENSED UNDER THE AVC, THE VC-1, AND THE MPEG-4 PART 2 VISUAL PATENT PORTFOLIO LICENSES FOR THE PERSONAL AND NON-COMMERCIAL USE OF A CONSUMER TO (i) ENCODE VIDEO IN COMPLIANCE WITH THE ABOVE STANDARDS (“VIDEO STANDARDS”) AND/OR (ii) DECODE AVC, VC-1, AND MPEG-4 PART 2 VIDEO THAT WAS ENCODED BY A CONSUMER ENGAGED IN A PERSONAL AND NON-COMMERCIAL ACTIVITY AND/OR WAS OBTAINED FROM A VIDEO PROVIDER LICENSED TO PROVIDE SUCH VIDEO. NO LICENSE IS GRANTED OR SHALL BE IMPLIED FOR ANY OTHER USE. ADDITIONAL INFORMATION MAY BE OBTAINED FROM MPEG LA, L.L.C. SEE (AKA.MS/MPEGLA).

We as a software developer using Microsoft Media Foundation do not need to pay the license fee for the H.264 decoder. We can legally distribute it to Windows end users, and end users can legally use our application for personal and non-commercial use.

Is it correct? Any legal concern using Media Foundation H.264 decoder?

Thank you

Monday, November 19, 2018 6:30 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Since the problem is more related to Media Foundation Development, I'll help you to move this thread to Media Foundation Development for Windows Desktop Forum. You could get more support there. 

Best regards,

Roy

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, November 20, 2018 5:55 AM
  • many thanks!
    Tuesday, November 20, 2018 10:12 AM