none
RemoteApp Work Area Clarification RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am currently working on improving RemoteApp support in FreeRDP, and there is one big question which has never been so clear to me in [MS-RDPERP] and [MS-RDPBCGR]. With RemoteApp, one can inform the server of its local work area, which is the area of the screen available clear of anything like a taskbar or the top menu bar on Mac OS X. In Linux, some environments use a menu bar on top, left, or the bottom of the screen. The use case which is the most problematic with the work area is when the unavailable area of the screen is on top, as this is where most of your window controls (menus, close button, etc) would likely be.

In my testing, sending correct work area values for a case where there is 22 pixels unavailable at the top of the screen do not seem to affect the positioning of the RemoteApp windows. In fact, I always get stuck with the language bar on the very top almost completely stuck in that top 22 pixels where it shouldn't be. If I move windows around, nothing prevents me from moving them outside the declared work area.

Here's my question: should I correct window positions on the client side based on the work area I have provided the server with? For instance, if the server says the window has moved to 0,0 and I have 22 pixels unavailable on top, I should always add +22 to my y value? In this case, I am worried that this might cause issues for windows correctly placed at the bottom of the screen and shouldn't be incremented by 22 for their y position.

The other portion of my question relates to the case of multimon: the work area is reported as a single rectangle, so what happens when there are multiple monitors involved? Is there any way to report the work area of individual monitors? How does that work exactly in practice?

Thank you!

Best regards,

-Marc-Andre

Friday, October 18, 2013 9:35 PM

All replies

• Marc-Andre,
    Thank you for this inquiry. One of our team members will review this and follow-up.

Thanks,
    Edgar

Saturday, October 19, 2013 1:30 AM
  • Hi Marc-Andre,

I can research this for you.

Bryan S. Burgin Senior Escalation Engineer Microsoft Protocol Open Specifications Team

Saturday, October 19, 2013 4:47 AM
  • Hi Bryan,

Thank you! :) Looking forward to some clarifications on the usage of the work area.

Best regards,

- Marc-Andre

Saturday, October 19, 2013 8:50 PM
  • Hi Bryan,

I noticed in the possible system parameters that could be passed is RAIL_SPI_TASKBARPOS, which is different from SPI_SETWORKAREA. I am currently sending SPI_SETWORKAREA but not RAIL_SPI_TASKBARPOS. Is it possible that the work area value is ignored and the position and size of the taskbar is used instead?

Monday, October 21, 2013 11:51 PM
  • Marc-Andre,

Thank you for the note; this is helpful.  I am still researching this for you.

Bryan S. Burgin Senior Escalation Engineer Microsoft Protocol Open Specifications Team

Tuesday, October 22, 2013 11:39 PM
  • Hi Marc-Andre

The SPI_SETWORKAREA should be good enough. Do we know what values as being passed for the SPI_SETWORKAREA?

The windows taskbar can also be moved to the top of the screen. 

For multimon, this is what MSDN states:

SPI_SETWORKAREA

0x002F

Sets the size   of the work area. The work area is the portion of the screen not obscured by   the system taskbar or by application desktop toolbars. The pvParam parameter   is a pointer to a RECT structure that specifies the new work   area rectangle, expressed in virtual screen coordinates. In a system with   multiple display monitors, the function sets the work area of the monitor   that contains the specified rectangle.

Can you contact me off line (you have the address) and provide the exact values you are providing?

Tuesday, November 5, 2013 9:43 PM
  • Marc-Andre,

Was this issue resolved?  I did didn't receive mail from you per the two posts above.

Tuesday, November 12, 2013 6:17 PM
  • Hi Bryan,

I will send a screenshot later today. I'm already sending the SPI_SETWORKAREA values.

Wednesday, November 13, 2013 3:48 PM
  • Hi Bryan,

You have mail. I think there might be a close link between the reported work area and the windows taskbar position even if there is no windows taskbar on non-Windows OSes.

Wednesday, November 13, 2013 4:51 PM
  • Thank you; I received the mail.

Forum: I will post the outcome once it is determined.

Wednesday, November 13, 2013 5:18 PM