Values not showing for calculated fields in Power Pivot Manage window RRS feed

• Question

• After I have spent a few minutes (or sometimes as little as a few seconds) in the Power Pivot manage window, the values for my calculated fields disappear. The field names are still there, but I cannot see the calculated values. If I use the calculated fields in a pivot table, the values show up fine. If I close the workbook entirely and re-open, the values are visible in the Power Pivot Manage window for a while until they disappear again after a few minutes.

I suspect this may have something to do with RAM? Several of my colleagues have all started using Power Pivot over the past few months, and they are all experiencing the exact same issue.

I have Excel 2013 64-bit. Anyone else experiencing this same issue and/or know of a fix?

• Edited by rtrenz2007 Thursday, May 18, 2017 7:35 PM
    Thursday, May 18, 2017 7:27 PM

All replies

• Hi rtrenz2007,

It's weird. Do you point to calculated column or measure? Your resource tables are large amount? Please make sure you have open the calculated area highlighted in yellow background.

Thanks,
    Angelia

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, May 19, 2017 2:20 AM
  • Angelia,

Thanks for your response. I can confirm that the calculation area is open. In fact, it is when I am working in this area building calculated fields that the values periodically disappear and I have to reload the workbook.

The data that I'm working with is not extremely large (several tables of a few thousand rows each). In this particular model, I have been building quite a few calculated columns, so I can understand if that is causing an issue. However, I have had this same issue with even very small models. When I was first learning PowerPivot, I watched a lot of ExcelIsFun's YouTube videos and followed along with the example workbooks that he provides. It's a very small amount of data just for practice. While I was following along, the values would frequently disappear from the calculation area. I can still see the title of the calculated field, but the value that I'm calculating is not visible. If I pull the value into a PivotTable, it works fine.

Again, this is happening to all of my colleagues as well (about 10 of us). We get together in group training sessions for PowerPivot, and every time we all lose visibility to the values in the calculated fields before the end of the session.

• Edited by rtrenz2007 Friday, May 19, 2017 11:23 AM
    Friday, May 19, 2017 11:20 AM
  • Does anyone else have any input on what the issue is / how we can fix it?
    Monday, May 22, 2017 2:51 PM
  • Interested to know if anyone else has thoughts on this. It's become pretty frustrating for our team. We have laptops (not desktops) but I believe they're pretty high end and would be surprised that they're not able to handle PowerPivot. 
    Friday, June 16, 2017 2:08 PM
  • Rtrenz, any progress on this?

Thanks!

Ed Price, Azure Development Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Answer an interesting question? Create a wiki article about it!

Monday, October 9, 2017 8:35 PM
  • Unfortunately not. We all still experience the same issue.
    Tuesday, October 10, 2017 11:16 AM
  • @Rtrenz, can you upload a sample workbook with mock up numbers. I have been using PowerPivot for long time and never experience the same issue. 
    Wednesday, October 11, 2017 11:15 AM
  • @Rtrenz, can you upload a sample workbook with mock up numbers. I have been using PowerPivot for long time and never experience the same issue. 
    I'm not sure that would be helpful. The issue occurs on any workbook after spending some time (generally within 30 minutes) working within the PowerPivot window. If I close the workbook, and open it back up, the numbers are visible again in the PowerPivot window. This happens for many of my colleagues who are all working on their own files (not a shared workbook).
    Wednesday, October 11, 2017 1:31 PM
  • I can attest that I have faced this issue multiple times as well. It's frustrating when it happens.
    Usually the file is working fine and then suddenly the measures stop showing any values in the Calculation Area (as  Rtrenz describes).
    At this point, often I have no success whether I reopen the file or reboot.

I have made peace with this and just drag any measures in a Pivot Table if I want to see their value.
    But it does throw off my game, especially when I am teaching :-)

⚡Power On!⚡ -Avi Singh

@powerbipro: YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, Web
    Tuesday, October 31, 2017 2:19 AM
  • Thank you for commenting. What you have described is exactly our issue as well (and how we work around it). I hope we can find a resolution.
    Tuesday, October 31, 2017 11:14 AM