none
Repeating static row header with multiple detail rows RRS feed

• Question

• I'm new to reports so I can't image I'm trying to do anything too complex here.  I am using VS2010 and creating a Report(rdlc) and viewing it using the ReportViewer control.  What I want to do is repeat the column headers on every page.  I tried to dumb down the report for this example.

Basically I have 1 tablix region and 1 data table(or dataset).  I have 1 static row which I want to use as the row containing column names.  I also added 2 detail rows to the report.  For each detail row, I went into the group properties and set a filter.  What I am finding is that the header row will repeat on each page for the 1st detail row but not the 2nd detail row.  Is this correct?  If so, how can I have the header repeat for every page in the tablix regardless of which detail row caused the new page?  I added screenshots to illustrate what I'm doing.

Everything works ok when I have 1 detail row

But, I do not get the header row on pages caused by a 2nd detail row.

Thanks,

fm

Thursday, February 2, 2012 8:01 PM

Answers

• Hi,

1. In the grouping pane, click on the small triangle and select "Advanced Mode" to show static members.
    2. verify that you have the properties grid turned on (in BI Development Studio use F4, in Report Builder go to the "View" tab and select "Properties")
    3. select the corresponding (static) item in the row group hierarchy
    4. in the properties grid:
      - set KeepWithGroup to After
      - set RepeatOnNewPage to true for repeating headers
      - set FixedData to true for keeping headers visible

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/robertbruckner/archive/2008/10/13/repeat-header-and-visible-fixed-header-table.aspx

Regards,

Asim Bagwan

Kindly mark the replies as Answers if they help!

• Marked as answer by fmjim Friday, February 3, 2012 4:07 PM
    Friday, February 3, 2012 9:19 AM
  • Hello Asim,

Thanks for the post.  The link you provided helped me get this working.  The screenshot in Robert's blog is what turned on the lightbulb.  I did not have my static and detail rows structured properly. [face palm]

I needed to add a Parent Group to Group1_1 and make Group1_2 an Adjacent Group within the Parent Group.  (Could've swore I tried this already).

Anyways I went from this...

to this...

And it's working now.

Thank You
    fm

Friday, February 3, 2012 4:07 PM

All replies

• Hi,

1. In the grouping pane, click on the small triangle and select "Advanced Mode" to show static members.
    2. verify that you have the properties grid turned on (in BI Development Studio use F4, in Report Builder go to the "View" tab and select "Properties")
    3. select the corresponding (static) item in the row group hierarchy
    4. in the properties grid:
      - set KeepWithGroup to After
      - set RepeatOnNewPage to true for repeating headers
      - set FixedData to true for keeping headers visible

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/robertbruckner/archive/2008/10/13/repeat-header-and-visible-fixed-header-table.aspx

Regards,

Asim Bagwan

Kindly mark the replies as Answers if they help!

Friday, February 3, 2012 9:19 AM
  • Hello Asim,

Thanks for the post.  The link you provided helped me get this working.  The screenshot in Robert's blog is what turned on the lightbulb.  I did not have my static and detail rows structured properly. [face palm]

I needed to add a Parent Group to Group1_1 and make Group1_2 an Adjacent Group within the Parent Group.  (Could've swore I tried this already).

Anyways I went from this...

to this...

And it's working now.

Thank You
    fm

Friday, February 3, 2012 4:07 PM