Creating controls at runtime in WinJS

Question

• Hi,

I want to populate a drop down list box at run time and am using a similar technique to this http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsapps/en-US/91221b03-cf8d-4481-9849-c28c3f203988/how-to-fetch-data-from-web-service-in-windows-store-apps-using-javascript?forum=winappswithhtml5

The web service returns data correctly but the last line of code

ready: function (element, options) {
    //some code you may already have
     WinJS.xhr({url: "webservice_url" }).done(function (datas) {
    var data = JSON.parse(datas.responseText);
    var innerhtml='';
    for (i = 0; i < data.length; i++) {
    innerhtml+='<option>'+data[i].AreaName+'</option>';
    }
    element.querySelector('#CbxArea').innerHTML = innerhtml;

returns an error. What exactly is wrong and what should be used so that the control with data is seen on the page. This example assumes that you have the control designed on the page. How would we draw the controls and position them on a blank page.

Thanks in advance.

Rajesh.

Monday, November 11, 2013 2:22 PM

Answers

All replies

• Does that line of code work for any other information other than the innerhtml that you're trying to assign?

Matt Small - Microsoft Escalation Engineer - Forum Moderator
    If my reply answers your question, please mark this post as answered.

NOTE: If I ask for code, please provide something that I can drop directly into a project and run (including XAML), or an actual application project. I'm trying to help a lot of people, so I don't have time to figure out weird snippets with undefined objects and unknown namespaces.

Monday, November 11, 2013 8:27 PM
  • Hi,

this line of code did the trick

document.getElementById("CbxArea").innerHTML = innerhtml;

But I am curious what does this line element.querySelector('#CbxArea').innerHTML = innerhtml; mean and how does it work.

Tuesday, November 12, 2013 10:54 AM
  • https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/API/Element.querySelector?redirectlocale=en-US&redirectslug=DOM%2FElement.querySelector

Matt Small - Microsoft Escalation Engineer - Forum Moderator
    If my reply answers your question, please mark this post as answered.

NOTE: If I ask for code, please provide something that I can drop directly into a project and run (including XAML), or an actual application project. I'm trying to help a lot of people, so I don't have time to figure out weird snippets with undefined objects and unknown namespaces.

Tuesday, November 12, 2013 2:45 PM