restore RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

my db name is abc.. i hv restored the bckup on tht db.. But in middle i have cancleed the restoration..
    After refreshing the respective db, i am getting as db is in 'restoring' position.

once i cancelled the restore command in middle,it should not restore right.. why iam getting as still it is restoring state?

i hv executed: restore database abc with recovery

I am geting as 'The database cannot be recovered because the log was not restored.'

Now i dont hv old backup to continue my restoration.

how to bring that db in normal state?pls help..
    Wednesday, May 29, 2013 3:11 AM

Answers

All replies

• How much the backup file size?

When you cancel restoration, it may take time to cancel depending upon the size of database your are restoring and fastness of IO subsystem.Wait for some time, it will be fully cancelled. Then again try to restore.

If you have still problem, then try to restore to different server and see what happens.

Srinivasan

Wednesday, May 29, 2013 4:07 AM
  • Some times back, i had also canceled the DB restoration in middle and restored the database with the same name (in your case db name is abc) with replace option and it works.. noting to worry....

Script i have used:

RESTORE DATABASE [DBNAME]
    FROM  DISK = N'E:\SQL_Backups\DBNAME.bak'
    WITH  FILE = 1, 
    MOVE N'DBNAME_DATA' TO N'D:\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL10.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\DATA\DBNAME.mdf', 
    MOVE N'DBNAME_LOG' TO N'E:\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL10.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\DATA_Log\DBNAME.ldf', 
    NOUNLOAD, 
    REPLACE,  -- Use this command
    STATS = 10

Thanks,

Thanks, Satish Kumar. Please mark as this post as answered if my anser helps you to resolves your issue :)

Wednesday, May 29, 2013 4:09 AM
  • Hi SLNSH

Your database was in middle of restore and now u have stopped.  The only way to use the available backup to restore with recovery and replace.

If backup is not available , then no way to go...................

Thanks Saurabh Sinha

http://saurabhsinhainblogs.blogspot.in/

Please click the Mark as answer button and vote as helpful if this reply solves your problem

Wednesday, May 29, 2013 4:17 AM
  • Hi SLNSH

Your database was in middle of restore and now u have stopped.  The only way to use the available backup to restore with recovery and replace.

If backup is not available , then no way to go...................

Thanks Saurabh Sinha

http://saurabhsinhainblogs.blogspot.in/

Please click the Mark as answer button and vote as helpful if this reply solves your problem

@Saurabh: Just asking you...

I dont think so - restore database with recovery option will not work un-til and unless the database restoration fully completed...

As per my knowledge: I mean If any restoration was stopped/canceled in middle the recovery option will not not work.

Thanks, Satish Kumar. Please mark as this post as answered if my anser helps you to resolves your issue :)

Wednesday, May 29, 2013 4:30 AM
  • Restore with restart is the best option, check the link

http://sudeeptaganguly.wordpress.com/2012/04/12/restore-database-with-restart/

Ramesh Babu Vavilla MCTS,MSBI

• Marked as answer by Fanny Liu Wednesday, June 5, 2013 8:57 AM
    Wednesday, May 29, 2013 5:15 AM