none
ReportViewer with SSRS 2008 RRS feed

• Question

• Has anyone got the report viewer control to work with a SSRS 2008 report? I get the following error in the report viewer control when it runs on a SSRS 2008 report:

An error occurred during local report processing. The definition of the report 'Main Report' is invalid. The report definition is not valid. Details: The report definition has an invalid target namespace 'http://schemas.microsoft.com/sqlserver/reporting/2008/01/reportdefinition' which cannot be upgraded

I googled the error message and it seems like a new version of the report viewer control is needed? Does anyone know when this will be released or whether there is another work around?
    Friday, December 12, 2008 3:06 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi CarlESIT,

We have specialized forums for Visual Studio Report controls. You may get more answers from Visual Studio Report Controls.

Best regards,
    Bruce Zhou

Please mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark if they don't.
    Monday, December 15, 2008 7:31 AM
  • I am moving this thread from Windows Form General to Visual Studio Report Controls.
    Please mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark if they don't.
    Wednesday, December 17, 2008 4:36 AM
  • Please take a look at my recent post which details the support for the 2008 report definition schema in the viewer controls: http://blogs.msdn.com/brianhartman/archive/2008/12/05/sql-server-2008-and-the-reportviewer-controls.aspx

Wednesday, December 17, 2008 6:28 AM
  • Today ReportViewer 2008 (VS2008 report viewer) is not compatible with new Report Builder 2.0 (SQLS 2008 Report viewer).

Therefore, adding HTML in Visual Studio report textbox for example is not possible yet. Bad news for me !!!

I have red on the previous blog we must wait VS2010 to get compatibility between RDL 20008 and RDLC 2008 engines.
    And I have red on an other source that the next version of ReportViewer, which including this update, will come for the begining of 2009.

Do you know if date is fixed for this next version of ReportViewer please ?
    Wednesday, December 17, 2008 2:55 PM
  • We had originally hoped to release an updated ReportViewer out of band from a Visual Studio release, which would have meant early 2009.  But that is no longer in the plans, so we are now targeting Visual Studio 2010.
    Wednesday, December 17, 2008 8:42 PM
  • I consider this delay a very serious setback for the ReportViewer to compete with other report engines. I hope this will be straightened out in future updates of the RDL schema.
    Thursday, December 18, 2008 10:57 AM
  • So does this mean that we cannot open/edit/view reports designed for 2008 in Visual Studio 2008? I have no reference to any 2005 reports or report server here.

I currently have VS 2008 installed, and can create and deploy 2008 reports to my 2008 Report Server. However, when my team member sends me a copy of a .rdl, created in VS 2008 as well, I cannot simply add the report to my current Report Project, it wants to convert it to the current version (I would expect them to be the same, but they are not for some reason).  Once I convert the report, I get the dreaded --> 

The report definition has an invalid target namespace 'http://schemas.microsoft.com/sqlserver/reporting/2008/01/reportdefinition' which cannot be upgraded.

I have reinstalled all my .NET Framework versions and reinstalled VS .NET 2008 and am now installing the VS 2008 SP1; so far nothing has worked.  This is frustrating if for some reason I can't deploy reports to the report server and then download them to include them in my project files.  This is a major feature which MS is overlooking until 2010?  I don't see this as an exceptable solution.  As we get ready to deploy a major 2008 project, I am not sure how we will be able to move forward not being able to edit shared reports and create a deployable solution. 

It currently seems the only way to use VS 2008 is to create the reports locally.  If you include reports not previously created in your environment, you run the chance of having to upgrade and that may not work (as described). 

It would be nice for MS to provide some workaround for this issue.

Thursday, April 2, 2009 12:38 PM