none
Failure when installing .NET 4.5, (2013-09-21-05:20) RRS feed

• Question

• I have Windows Home Premium, SP 1, with some updated unable to be completed because of an error with the .NET Client Profile (among others), for which I was advised to remove all the .NET installations and do a clean install.

This is what I did trying to install dotnetfx45_full_x86_x64.exe, and as well, dotNetFx40_Full_x86_x64.exe

- turned off all the anti-virus programs that are shown running on the taskbar

- ran intallation file via "Run as administrator" context menu command

When I go to Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\User Accounts, it shows the user as my name, then "Administrator" & password protected. I am not sure how to "make sure the user account is a member of the Administrators group".

The entry for that GUID in regedit is such that for all 4 users, the Allow checkbox is checked and is also disabled for all except RESTRICTED, in which the checkbox is enabled.

Here is the vslogs.cab file as per the vscollect.exe run:

http://sdrv.ms/1drDWUC

• Edited by swampwiz_ Saturday, September 21, 2013 1:26 AM
    Saturday, September 21, 2013 1:20 AM

Answers

• Unfortunately, the same error persists, indicating issues with your registry or OS.

"INSTALLMESSAGE_ERROR [Could not write value Locale to key \SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\{1AD147D0-BE0E-3D6C-AC11-64F6DC4163F1}.   Verify that you have sufficient access to that key, or contact your support personnel.]"

For help correcting permissions on the registry keys in question/ account access, please ask here:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windowsrt_1_pr-system?tab=QnA&status=all&mod=&modAge=&advFil=&postedAfter=&postedBefore=&tm=1379944876899

Monday, September 23, 2013 2:01 PM
  • Hi swampwiz,

Firstly, you can use the following method to check whether the user account your are using to install the .NET 4.5 is  a member of the Administrators group:
    Right click the Computer and select Manage (you are asked administrator privilege to open it)-> in the Computer Management page -> go to System Tools - Local Users and Groups - Groups -> check whether the user in the Administrator group. See:

Secondly, just as pvdg42 mentioned above, actually the user account you are using don't have permissions to edit the {1AD147D0-BE0E-3D6C-AC11-64F6DC4163F1} component. Please double check it. In the regedit.exe, find the {1AD147D0-BE0E-3D6C-AC11-64F6DC4163F1} key, right-click it -> choose Permissions-> make sure the user account has the Full Control permissions. (If you got issues here, ask regedit expert directly with pvdg42's link)

Thanks.

<THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Tuesday, September 24, 2013 7:01 AM

All replies

• Per the install log, you have this issue:

"INSTALLMESSAGE_ERROR [Could not write value Locale to key \SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\{1AD147D0-BE0E-3D6C-AC11-64F6DC4163F1}.   Verify that you have sufficient access to that key, or contact your support personnel.]"

I also note that you have not been clearing your %temp directory before each install attempt.

I suggest that you create a new account on your system with full administrator privileges, then follow these steps:

Follow ALL these steps exactly:

Before trying to install .NET Framework 4.5, execute this command from an ELEVATED Command Prompt provided by the .NET Framework Team:

"This issue is likely caused by a bad ACL on assembly\tmp folder. After installing updates, the ACL propagates to installed assembly folders in both 4.0 & legacy GAC.  If those updates were installed by WU or another user, the propagated ACL will prevent install of the same assembly by the current user.

A work around would be to reset the ACL on GAC dirs.

for /F %D in ('dir %WINDIR%\assembly %WINDIR%\Microsoft.NET\assembly /s /b /a:d') do takeown /F %D && icacls %D /reset /T"

After running that command, follow these steps:

Please follow these instructions exactly:

1. Download a fresh copy of the standalone installer for .NET Framework 4.5:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=30653

2. Also, clear your %temp% directory and disable your AV software.

The %temp% directory is a reference to the Temp folder associated with the current user. To clear it, do the following:

Sign on to your system with the Administrator user account you will use to run the installer. Click the Start Orb and type %temp% in the search box. The search results will show the Temp folder you want. Click on the Temp folder to open it in Windows Explorer, then delete the entire contents.

3. Run the installer from step 1 As Administrator.

Note: Just using an administrator account is NOT enough. To activate full privileges, you must right-click the installer, then select Run as administrator.

If the install fails, provide complete install logs as follows:

Please collect your install logs with this:

http://aka.ms/vscollect

After you run Collect.exe, you'll find vslogs.cab in your %temp% directory. Please upload vslogs.cab to a public site, like SkyDrive, and post the link here.

The complete log set is needed for analysis.

Sunday, September 22, 2013 5:45 PM
  • I set up another User ("Installing"), cleared out the %temp% directory (although 2 files would not delete), ran the command in the Command Prompt app - run via the context menu command "Run as administrator" (is this what is done for "elevated? If not. please advise) - which resulted in a huge amount as output, and which for at least the output that was scrollable was successful except for the last one, turned off the Avast anti-virus (the only program showing up as an anti-virus, as I had uninstalled AVG already), got the install program (which is the same as it has always been for me), and finally ran the install program, again via "Run as administrator".

It again failed, but at least this time, the total execution time seemed to take a lot longer than it had been taking before.

Here is the vslogs.cab file:

http://sdrv.ms/1eAGqDs
    Monday, September 23, 2013 1:08 AM
  • Unfortunately, the same error persists, indicating issues with your registry or OS.

For help correcting permissions on the registry keys in question/ account access, please ask here:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windowsrt_1_pr-system?tab=QnA&status=all&mod=&modAge=&advFil=&postedAfter=&postedBefore=&tm=1379944876899

Monday, September 23, 2013 2:01 PM
  • Hi swampwiz,

Firstly, you can use the following method to check whether the user account your are using to install the .NET 4.5 is  a member of the Administrators group:
    Right click the Computer and select Manage (you are asked administrator privilege to open it)-> in the Computer Management page -> go to System Tools - Local Users and Groups - Groups -> check whether the user in the Administrator group. See:

Secondly, just as pvdg42 mentioned above, actually the user account you are using don't have permissions to edit the {1AD147D0-BE0E-3D6C-AC11-64F6DC4163F1} component. Please double check it. In the regedit.exe, find the {1AD147D0-BE0E-3D6C-AC11-64F6DC4163F1} key, right-click it -> choose Permissions-> make sure the user account has the Full Control permissions. (If you got issues here, ask regedit expert directly with pvdg42's link)

Thanks.

<THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Tuesday, September 24, 2013 7:01 AM