none
XLSX to ODS/XLS format RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I am working on an application which requires me to Export Reports as SpreadSheet. If MS Office is installed, I use the Excel API's to create the required Spreadsheet. If not, I use OpenXML SDK to create the required Reports.

My Problem is that, the Reports which I create using OpenXML are in XLSX Format . when I open the document in OpenOffice and try to save it, It requires me to save it in any of the native OpenOffice Formats. (Requiring me to save it as another file than the one i created resulting in duplicate reports)

Is there a way I could convert the XLSX format to ODS or XLS format which can be easily opened,edited and saved , so that I dont end up having duplicate reports ?

Regards

Anu

Anu Viswan : www.AnuViswan.blogspot.com

Wednesday, July 17, 2013 8:52 AM

Answers

• Hi Anu

I'm not familiar with the *.ods file format. If it's open source, what you propose would probably be possible, but is not supported by the Open XML SDK. You might inquire in the OpenXMLDeveloper.org forums whether anyone knows the basics, or knows of a third-party tool you can license that will make the transformation/conversion.

The *.xls file format is the old binary, proprietary format. Since release of the new file formats, the specs are publicly available, but the file format is not simple to work with (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc313105.aspx). There is definitely no support nor simple "transformation" for that, although, again, there might be a third-party tool. If you need that format, it might make more sense to generate the files directly as *.xls than as *.xlsx.

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP, my blog

Wednesday, July 17, 2013 1:04 PM