Metro apps fail to launch from Visual Studio.

Question

• I am able to deploy the app and then manually start the app on the device.

But, when I try to deploy and launch the app directly from VS 2012, it connects to the remote debugger, deploys and then crashes the device.

I also tried "attach to process" to attach the VS debugger to the app running on the device. Visual Studio loads the symbol files and then crashes the app.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks.

Tuesday, March 12, 2013 8:33 PM

All replies

• Is this just one app or is it many apps?

What exactly do you mean by "crashes the device" or "crashes the app"?

What errors are reported? Is a crash dump created?

--Rob

Tuesday, March 12, 2013 10:48 PM
    Owner
  • This happens for every app.

For testing purposes I am using the StreamSocket sample app from msdn. The device I am using is a WinRT ARM device.

Here is more on my setup:

I have the Remote Debugger installed on the device, the device and the win8 machine are on the same subnet and I have changed the project settings in VS 2012 to use Remote Machine.

When I click "Remote Machine" in Visual Studio, the app builds, deploys and then starts loading symbols.

At this time, I see the splash screen on the device and at some point I get a pop up on the Win8 machine saying, the connection to debugger has been lost.

The device is stuck on the splash screen, I can't go back to the desktop or close the app, its non responsive.

The Visual Studio "Debug" log shows that it failed to load some pdbs. That's about it.

I haven't set up the crash dump yet, I did see your reply to some other post about crash dumps. I'll try that out now.

Thanks Rob!

• Edited by QCNeil Tuesday, March 12, 2013 11:27 PM
    Tuesday, March 12, 2013 10:56 PM