Toggle culture by clicking a button RRS feed

• Question

• User-1695137398 posted
    I'm not sure if I should post this here.  What I want to do involves some new localization features provided by ASP.NET 2.0.  But my problem is quite generic even for ASP.NET 1.x.  In a shor word, where can I set/change the page's culture prior to FrameworkInitialize()?

I am using ASP.NET Beta 2.  I want to toggle the page between two languages by clicking a toggle button on the page.  In the button's click event handler, I will toggle the language which is saved inside a session variable.  I try to render the page using the new language, but it does not work.

I have read three articles about the improved localization for ASP.NET 2.0, and the page lifecycle/pipeline.  They are listed at the end of this post.

From article 1 - section "Implicit Localization Expressions", I know that the localized content of the page is decided by the following code invoked inside FrameworkInitlize().

button1.Text = ((string)
          base.GetLocalResourceObject("LinkButtonResource1.Text"));

Then I think I should set the page's culture before the execution of FrameworkInitlize().  But I'm not sure of the exact place in the page lifecycle.

In article 2 - section "Page Lifecycle", there are a list of Page Lifecycle methods.  The following is a partial list at the beginning of the lifecycle that I think are relevant with my problem.

Constructor
        Construct
        TestDeviceFilter
        AddParsedSubObject
        DeterminePostBackMode
        OnPreInit
        LoadPersonalizationData
        InitializeThemes
        OnInit

In article 3 - section "The Page Lifecycle", it says:

Once the HTTP page handler class is fully identified, the ASP.NET run time calls the handler's ProcessRequest method to process the request. ... (it) begins by calling the method FrameworkInitialize, which builds the controls tree for the page. The method is a protected and virtual member of the TemplateControl class - the class from which Page itself derives. Any dynamically generated handler for an .aspx resource overrides FrameworkInitialize. In this method, the whole control tree for the page is built.

Next, ProcessRequest makes the page transit various phases: initialization, loading of view state information and postback data, loading of the page's user code and execution of postback server-side events. After that, the page enters in rendering mode: the updated view state is collected; the HTML code is generated and then sent to the output console. Finally, the page is unloaded and the request is considered completely served.

From this, I deduce that the method FrameworkInitlize() is called at least prior to OnPreInit().  But I do not know where its exact position is in the lifecycle.

Anyway, I tried the following.

I override the method Construct to toggle the current thread's culture, as shown below.  But it does not work.  The displayed page is still in the browser's language.

protected override void Construct()
        {
            base.Construct();

string l;
            if(Thread.CurrentThread.CurrentUICulture.Name == "en-US")
            {
                l = "zh-CN";
            }
            else
            {
                l = "en-US";
            }
            CultureInfo ci = CultureInfo.CreateSpecificCulture(l);
            Thread.CurrentThread.CurrentCulture = ci;
            Thread.CurrentThread.CurrentUICulture = ci;
        }

I also tried to overried OnInit() and OnPreInit() to set the page's culture, but it is still futile.

protected override void OnInit(EventArgs e)
        {
            base.OnInit(e);

Page.Culture = Language;
        }

I'll be greatly appreciated if anyone can provide any explanation/suggestions/workarounds to my problem?  Thanks a lot in advance!

Reference:
    Articles 1. ASP.NET 2.0 Localization Features: A Fresh Approach to Localizing Web Applications
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnvs05/html/ASP2local.asp

Articles 2. ASP.NET 2.0 Internals
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnvs05/html/internals.asp

Articles 3. The ASP.NET Page Object Model
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnaspp/html/aspnet-pageobjectmodel.asp

Zhu Ming

Wednesday, May 11, 2005 4:31 AM

All replies