none
How do i fix a "The specified file path does not exist or is not on a locally attached disk." error with Server Backup in Server 2008 R2? RRS feed

• Question

• As the title.  Drive in question is a USB 3 drive.  Drive detects fine in Storage Manager, can be formatted as NTFS and have files on it and so forth so I know the drive is physically detected.

When I run a : wbadmin enable backup -addtarget:{00000} (With a real drive ID from wbadmin get disks) I get the error "The specified file path does not exist or is not on a locally attached disk."

Up until a week ago backups were triggering daily at 9pm just fine and I've added additional target drives this way around for a while.  I get the same error if I add a new target from the 'update backup' wizard.

Thoughts?

The backup includes Hyper-V folders, Exchange and SQL, and is set as 'VSS-Full backup'.  It includes a bunch of random file shares too, as well as system drive and system state foo for bare metal.

Thursday, June 2, 2011 3:06 PM

All replies

• I'm getting this exact same message when attempting to add a 3rd disk to my backup set. I added the second drive using the wbadmin command above and it worked fine. In my case the disks are attached via an external SATA docking station. I was able to create a one-off backup to the new drive so I know it works OK with Windows Server Backup, but I want to add it to the existing backup set.

Any ideas on how to work around this?

Wednesday, June 6, 2012 12:11 AM