Missing Database Project Templates in VS2010 Professional RRS feed

• Question

• I installed Visual Studio 2010 Professional (Version 10.0.30319.1 RTMRel) without any customization, i.e. all features were installed. Now when I select "File/New/Project...", I can't find any database project template, for instance the "SQL Server 2008 Wizard" template. Should this template not be installed by default, as described here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/0fyc0azh.aspx ?

I already invoked the "devenv /installvstemplates" command without any effect. I also reinstalled VS2010.

What else can I try?

Wednesday, April 28, 2010 2:12 PM

Answers

• Hello,

Most of database project functions are available only in Premium Edition and Ultimate Edition.

You can refer to the following article for the features of different edtions: http://www.microsoft.com/visualstudio/en-us/products

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Send us any feedback you have about the help from MSFT at fbmsdn@microsoft.com.
    • Proposed as answer by Andrew Goldie Tuesday, May 4, 2010 9:20 AM
    • Marked as answer by Edwer Fang Thursday, May 6, 2010 10:40 AM
    Tuesday, May 4, 2010 8:16 AM

All replies

• Me too - I would like to know the answer to this.
    Monday, May 3, 2010 9:39 PM
  • Hello,

Most of database project functions are available only in Premium Edition and Ultimate Edition.

You can refer to the following article for the features of different edtions: http://www.microsoft.com/visualstudio/en-us/products

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    • Proposed as answer by Andrew Goldie Tuesday, May 4, 2010 9:20 AM
    • Marked as answer by Edwer Fang Thursday, May 6, 2010 10:40 AM
    Tuesday, May 4, 2010 8:16 AM
  • Hello,

the curious thing is that a colleague of mine installed exactly the same version, and on his machine the database project templates are available. Are there any software installation prerequisites for the templates, e.g. a certain Sql Server component?

Tuesday, May 4, 2010 9:01 AM
  • Hi Edwer. I just installed Premium and the project templates are there. Thank you for confirming the edition I needed. Thankfully my MSDN subscription allowed me to install Premium over Professional.
    Tuesday, May 4, 2010 9:22 AM
  • Hello,

As I know, there does not exist this kind of software.

Wednesday, May 5, 2010 2:06 AM
  • I meant that I first installed Visual Studio 2010 Professional Edition. The Database project templates were missing. I uninstalled Visual Studio 2010 Professional Edition and installed Visual Studio 2010 Premium Edition instead. Now the database project templates are there.

I have an MSDN Premium subscription. This gives me the option of downloading VS 2010 Professional or VS 2010 Premium.

Wednesday, May 5, 2010 2:33 AM
  • Hi Andrew,

I have got what you mean, the reply above is for Christian.

Thanks.

Wednesday, May 5, 2010 7:02 AM
  • Hi Edwer,

thank you very much for your replies. I guess I will install the Premium Edition like Andrew did.

Wednesday, May 5, 2010 7:21 AM
  • Hi Edwer,

now I installed the Visual Studio 2010 Premium Edition, but still no database project templates are available.

Tuesday, May 25, 2010 12:45 PM
  • Hello,

The structure should be Database->SQL Server in the new project window.

You may go to Help-About Microsoft Visual Studio to verify whether you are working with premium edition.

Also try to run this command 'devenv.exe /InstallVSTemplates' in command prompt to see if this issue still exists.

Wednesday, May 26, 2010 9:32 AM
  • I'm having the exact same problem as Christian. I have already tried vs2010 professional, premium, and ultimate from the MSDNAA but still no database templates. The "database" node is not even there when I click on new projects. I have used the visual studio uninstall utility to do a full uninstall each time I upgraded and have tried the devenv/installvstemplates.

Someone please help me out. This has been driving me crazy for a week now.

Wednesday, October 26, 2011 3:44 AM
  • I am evaluating the trial edition of VS 2010 Professional.  I don't need any of the additional functionality of VS 2010 Premium, with one exception: I do need to be able to create database projects.  This link states that "All of these project templates are available in the Professional, Premium and Ultimate editions of the product"

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff678491.aspx

However, I don't see the Database Project templates in Professional, only in Premium.

Interestingly, I can create a database project in VS 2003 and then upgrade it to VS 2010 using the upgrade wizard.  I then can build and deploy databases using Professional.  However, I don't want to have to be reliant on the old product to create databases.

I would rather not spend any more than I have to, so I'm looking for definite confirmation that there is no way whatsoever to create a new database project in Professional?

John

Thursday, April 19, 2012 1:43 PM
  • Actually with the new SQL Server Data Tools you can use SSDT in any of the version of Visual Studio.  According to this post (SSDT and Visual Studio version) you can even use it in the free Visual Studio Express Editions and also this post states that they are only going to support up to 2 versions back so if you are on VS2010 you should upgrade to VS2012 at least (although I would recommend VS2013).

I hope this helps others who are trying to use DB projects in their solutions.

Unfortunately I cannot attach a link because my account isn't verified but if you go to the blogs.msdn.com/b/ssdt/archive/2014/01/31/ssdt-and-visual-studio-versions.aspx website (put http) in front of this link and you should be able to get to the blog post I am referring to.   

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ssdt/archive/2014/01/31/ssdt-and-visual-studio-versions.aspx

• Proposed as answer by Paul Gower Tuesday, March 25, 2014 5:16 PM
    Tuesday, March 25, 2014 5:15 PM