none
Cannot publish from remote to local, EW3 on new Win7Pro x64 computer RRS feed

• Question

• We maintain a website for our social group. Site was originally developed in FP2003. Home computer died, bought new one running Win 7 x64. Installed FP2003, had problems downloading from remote site. Try to resolve/publish to local and got error 'an unexpected exception has occurred'. So installed EW3 that we had bought some time ago to start learning. We get the same error with this software. Disabled anti-virus, disabled firewall, turned off UAC. Both programs were tried with settings as installed and also set to "Win XP compatibility mode and Run as Admin" for all users. The folders are downloaded, but both programs error when they get to point to start downloading files. We are able to download one or two files at a time, but more than that give the error as above. Too many files to do one at a time. Any thoughts, suggestions, guidance appreciated.
    Saturday, November 26, 2011 11:42 PM

All replies

• I always use Filezilla to publish a site from remote to local and never had any problems. Maybe some of the Guru's can give you a fix for your problem.
    • Edited by slewfoot Sunday, November 27, 2011 1:59 AM
    Sunday, November 27, 2011 1:59 AM
  • Thanks Slewfoot. Maybe we'll look into Filezilla, see if it will do what we need. Still hoping to hear from  Guru, with an answer. Seems that it would have to do with either Win 7 or IE9, that is what's different. We just don't know where to look and have wasted too many days searching for answers online.
    Sunday, November 27, 2011 3:02 AM
  • There's absolutely no reason to use Filezilla to publish. EW works perfectly well on Win7 32 or 64. You just have to set it up properly. Alternatively, you could have a bad install of FP, EW, or dotNET framework.

If that's a retail version of EW3, you qualify for a free upgrade to EW4. See the info in the Forum FAQ, above.

The Dalai Lama walks into a pizza shop and asks the guy behind the counter, "Can you make me one with everything?"
    Sunday, November 27, 2011 3:33 AM
  • Bill,

Thanks for the input, I appreciate the confirmation that it will run on our OS. If there is a bad install, it would probably be dotNET as both FP and EW had the same errors when trying to download the site via http. Would be odd that both had install problems that gave same error. And everything else works so far. No install errors came up on either program.

Are there any issues with IE9, or any settings there we need to configure? Do you have some ready links to information on how to set EW up properly, or should we just go through the Learn section of this site? Although knowledgable in other computer and software areas, neither of us are well versed in anything related to the web other than surfing. EW3 was purchased by MS employee from the Company Store, so I'm guessing that's not a full retail version.

BTW, love the Dalai Lama item.

Sunday, November 27, 2011 4:41 AM
  • I am running FrontPage 2003, EW2, EW3 and EW4 on Windows 7 Ultimate x64, and on Windows 7 Starter 32Bit. Both have IE9.
    There have been no problems on either machine with any of the above, using FTP and a site with FP extension.

FrontPage does not use .NET 2 or later, and does not need .NET 1.4 (but will use it for some database applications). EW uses .NET 2 and later versions. Some users do have problems installing or running the program. .NET is not used by FrontPage for any publishing operation. This sounds like a problem related to FP extensions or Networking if both EW and FP give the same error.

Any program purchased from the Microft Company Store is a complete version - the only limitation is that it should not be  resold. This Not For Resale license may also affect the free upgrade.

The Resources section in the FAQs post ( http://social.expression.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/web/thread/7fd16fa3-1944-4522-8848-a6a2926a253b ) contains links to pages and tutorials regarding setting up and using EW.

Ron Symonds
    Microsoft MVP (Expression Web)

www.rxs-enterprises.org/fp
    Sunday, November 27, 2011 11:08 AM
  • Did you create new empty websites on the machine to publish the remote sites into?

Expression Web MVP
    Sunday, November 27, 2011 3:06 PM
  • First, thanks to all for such quick and helpful responses. I am amazed by and thankful for the quick responses. This is the best forum I have posted to.

I checked the log files and confirmed that Expression Web 3, Design 3, and Encode 3 all installed successfully. I did find an install error on FP2003; I just now uninstalled it as we found out yesterday that the site host will soon drop support for FP Extensions, so that s/w will be of no use to us. Besides, time to move on (dragged kicking and screaming is more like it, actually).

WU gave us EW3 SP1 this AM, so installed that. Have not yet tried anything, too much else to do to spend another day in front of the computer trying to get this to work. Based on other posts in forum, we do have a version eligible for free EW4 upgrade, so may try that if all else still fails.

We did create new empty website on the machine; the site was imported using the "import site wizard" which created the empty site since it did not exist previously (prior to EW3 attempt, we deleted the local site created through prior FP attempts).

Box for EW3 said it needs .NET 3.5 SP1. This does not show in Control Panel/Programs (shows 1.1 and 4 Client), but I did find in the registry that 3.5 SP1 is installed. The only log files are for .NET 1.1 install, though. May post in .NET forum to see if that may be part of the problem.

Repeat after me: I love computers, I love computers, I love computers....

Sunday, November 27, 2011 5:05 PM
  • OK, so as I was going through all open windows and closing them, I noticed an ExpressionWeb.log file. Opening that, I do see a repeat of the same error: "#6400df: Site does not support Navigation Structure". Searching for this on the forum seems to indicate that it most likely is a FPSE problem, and that we need to deal with migrating the site. So, on to the conversion/migration tutorials, and hopefully that will fix everything and bring us out of the dark ages at the same time.

Here is the full log file (with user name and site name replaced) if anyone wants to share his or her opinion of problem source and what will be the most effective use or our time going forward:

0 11/26 08:49:09 8028 #70011: The required parameter "serverbinding" was not found in the "info" section of the "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Expression\Web 3\bots\FPCOUNT\FPCOUNT.inf" configuration file.
    0 11/26 17:15:11 2864 #70011: The required parameter "serverbinding" was not found in the "info" section of the "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Expression\Web 3\bots\FPCOUNT\FPCOUNT.inf" configuration file.
    0 11/26 18:14:49 6344 #20055: Cannot copy file "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Expression\Web 3\bin\1033\nortbots.htm" to "D:\Users\username\Documents\My Web Sites\sitename\_derived\nortbots.htm".
    0 11/26 18:14:49 6344 #6400df: Site does not support Navigation Structure
    0 11/26 18:17:31 5872 #6400df: Site does not support Navigation Structure
    0 11/26 18:17:51 6640 #20055: Cannot copy file "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Expression\Web 3\bin\1033\nortbots.htm" to "D:\Users\username\Documents\My Web Sites\sitename\_derived\nortbots.htm".
    0 11/26 18:17:51 6640 #6400df: Site does not support Navigation Structure
    0 11/26 18:19:34 6016 #6400df: Site does not support Navigation Structure
    0 11/26 18:20:08 6376 #6400df: Site does not support Navigation Structure
    0 11/26 18:39:01 4116 #6400df: Site does not support Navigation Structure
    0 11/26 18:44:37 924 #6400df: Site does not support Navigation Structure
    0 11/26 19:10:15 6832 #6400df: Site does not support Navigation Structure
    0 11/26 19:29:22 2272 #6400df: Site does not support Navigation Structure
    0 11/26 21:12:47 8688 #6400df: Site does not support Navigation Structure
    0 11/26 21:13:41 8660 #6400df: Site does not support Navigation Structure

Thanks again!

Sunday, November 27, 2011 5:36 PM
  • Instead of Importing the site, do it using Publish. Publish it from the server down to an empty website folder on your hard drive (sounds wrong, but publishing works both ways and you are sure to get everything by using Publish).
    The Dalai Lama walks into a pizza shop and asks the guy behind the counter, "Can you make me one with everything?"
    Sunday, November 27, 2011 6:32 PM
  • In addition to publishing your site down to your PC, not importing it, I will point out that EW does not support FP navigation.  You'll need to switch to a menu you maintain, not one generated by FP's navigation view.  Be sure to do this before upgrading to EW4 since EW4 can actually break the pages that use FP navigation menus.

None of this explains your inability to publish up to your site with either FP or EW, however.  You still have some sort of permission/firewall/other problem.  (I can't guess what it might be.)

Sunday, November 27, 2011 7:18 PM
  • I'm surprised that this hasn't been mentioned already in this thread (we usually do so early and often ;-), but MS Support has put together a "white paper" of guidelines for what you'll need to consider when migrating from FrontPage to Expression Web. It is available at Prerequisites for Using Microsoft Expression Web

You can also google "migrating from frontpage" to find articles on what to watch out for, what no longer works at all (among them navigation view and shared borders), what is still supported, but only for inclusion (works if present, but cannot be edited or created in EW), and what actually blows up pages that include them (shared borders in EW4) and must be removed in FP prior to opening the documents in EW.

The Forum FAQs and Guidelines also has a list of learning resources that will be of value to you regardless of the version of EW you use (you really should be on EW4 SP2, which is far superior to its predecessors), especially if you have accustomed yourself to FP's "no knowledge required" approach to page creation. That approach is decidedly not appropriate in professional-level Web development applications, a group which, fortunately, now includes Expression Web.

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.
    • Edited by paladyn Wednesday, February 15, 2012 2:37 PM
    Sunday, November 27, 2011 7:44 PM
  • Scott, thanks for the info. The link to the white paper didn't not work for me, but I will search around for it. I also appreciate the heads up to make changes in FP before moving to EW. Bill and Kathy, thanks for the pointer on publishing instead of importing. Kathy, we never did get to the point of publishing the site through EW, as we never successfully got the remote site files loaded on this new machine to be able to work on them and publish!

Thankfully we have another system available to us, which has a working copy of FP so we can make the changes. Maybe our home confuser dying was a blessing in disguise, forcing us into the change before it became an even bigger issue which we did not have time to deal with.

I will post back with an update, but not for at least a few days. I will mark helpful info at that time. Sounds like DH has some learning to do. Would have been nice to continue with the 'no knowledge required' approach as we don't use the site for anything except updating text calendars and info, and posting photos of group activities; nothing interactive, no ecommerce, no one else posts anything to the site. But it is what it is, time to move on.

Sunday, November 27, 2011 9:21 PM
  • The link to the white paper is
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2511858
    This is linked to in the FAQs post I mentioned earlier at
    http://social.expression.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/web/thread/7fd16fa3-1944-4522-8848-a6a2926a253b

Ron Symonds
    Microsoft MVP (Expression Web)

www.rxs-enterprises.org/fp
    Sunday, November 27, 2011 11:06 PM
  • I'm now having the same issue as the original complaint of "An expected exception occurred".  I'm using EW4 with Win 7 64 Profesional.

While I started the site with FP2003, that was with a different computer and I've previously had no issues being able to write locally from remote files on this computer.  This is a new issue as of the last week with no idea what initiated it.

I also attempted to copy then delete the entire local directory.  EW4 will write the remote directories but not the files.

All Windows updates were done and followed by a restart but still no dice.

Clues?

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 10:03 AM
  • Skyhawk, did you even bother to read the bloody thread? The OP was using a different version of EW, and she got the only resolution we can offer here. Please read the Forum FAQs and Guidelines - Start Here, and take note of this item:

Is this forum a Microsoft technical support forum?
    No. This forum is a peer-to-peer forum for Web designers and users of Microsoft Expression Web. The users who post on this forum are volunteers who are helping other Expression Web users out of an interest in helping the community of Web designers.

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 2:45 PM
  • Skyhawk,

Do not tag onto a different thread with your own problem.  Please start your own thread and provide all the details.  With something like "an unexpected error occurred", there is no way you can say "it's the same problem as the other person's", especially when you aren't using the same version of EW, aren't using the same installation, the same computer, the same host, making, perhaps, the exact same mistakes, or doing the exact same things right, etc., etc...

Now, we may not be able to help, and may have to just remind you that this isn't MS technical support.  But the first thing you should do is start your own thread, and tell us in detail, STEP BY STEP, exactly what you are doing and exactly what is happening, in case it is something we can spot.

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 3:40 PM
  • Given how the jerk named Palaydn responded, I'll not bother further with this forum.  

I read Lynn indicate EW3 was installed.  I did not think it was huge step to EW4 with the EXACT same problem described.

Now, if you want to start a whole new thread with the EXACT SAME PROBLEM, you can do that but I'm out of here.  One cannot learn from another who fails to even what was stated in other posts along with mine.  

So, Paladyn, go peform a physical impossibility on yourself.  I'm done with this forum just as soon as I started.

And yes, I do realize this is a peer support forum.  It's no differently than my helping pilots with my instructor knowledge on pilot boards but not charging them.  But, I don't jump on people if they ask a question even only remotely close to the discussion in the thread.  If it's that big of a deal, we'll start a new thread.  That did not seem to be the case here.
    Wednesday, February 15, 2012 10:24 PM
  • Well, actually it is a big step between EW 3 and EW 4, just so you know.

Besides publishing problems are always individual and typically relate to specific hardware, software, firewall set-ups. The biggest problem we've seen is with Kasperskey anti-virus. The fix for which is in the FAQ Paladyn pointed you to.

Free Expression Web Tutorials
    For an Expression Web forum with without the posting issues try expressionwebforum.com

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 11:28 PM
  • If you want to dump the entire board because you didn't like the tone of one response, feel free to do so.  It does make me think you'll never stick around on any forum, since you can never control the tone of all replies.  <shrug>
    Thursday, February 16, 2012 3:43 AM
  • Slewfoot.  Having a similar problem publishing locally.  Have created a folder Local Publish in MyWebsites and the site is published there.  However, on all pages except "Index" only the code shows up--no photos etc.  Saw another posting which said on the top right corner of the screen when publishing to select "Publish all pages"   Not sure if that is the problems since I could not find that menu item.  Using EW 3 but relatively new to website creation.  Help much appreciated.  Any ideas?
    Sunday, April 8, 2012 12:27 PM
  • Please read the Forum FAQs and Guidelines - Start Here post. If you still have a question after reading that, let us know. In your own new thread.

cheers,
    scott

Sunday, April 8, 2012 3:01 PM
  • Many months later, and I have a link back to the thread to finally post our resolution.

1. FP did not install properly as I had installed MS Office 2007 prior to installing FP2003. I think that if I had done it the other way it might have worked better. So that was part of the problem.

2. We were totally unaware that FP and EW were animals of an entirely different genus. We had been led to believe that EW was the successor to FP so were expecting to be able to go from one to another more easily.

3. It was suggested that the ISP probably had a web design package available. Guess I assumed the other party involved already knew that, my bad. Given the choice of using a semi-canned template or learning a new program 'under the gun', the ISP won out. The intention was there to learn EW, but time has not permitted that venture yet. So, website was up within a day or two, and as an added bonus, it can be managed by anyone from anywhere, no special software required. Quite helpful since the hubby is out of town frequently for business and can make changes whenever needed, from his hotel room, instead of having to wait to get home and use FP.

So thanks to all who helped us see where we were going wrong and pointed us in the right direction.

Monday, April 9, 2012 4:08 AM