How can I improve de-serialization performance on the Silverlight 5 client? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm already doing BinaryMessageEncoding and zipping the data from IIS, but it is taking a LONG time in the app to de-serialize the data.  Admittedly I'm sending a LOT of stuff to the client, but it takes 10 times longer to de-serialize than to transmit it over the network.

I THINK the Silverlight 4 took about 1/2 the time as SL 5 is taking.

Any clues?

Monday, May 8, 2017 3:24 PM

All replies

• Hi Mark Tiede,

I suggest you can try to use the sharpSerializer - An open source XML and binary serializer for .NET and Silverlight.

You can refer the following detailed article.

Binary Serialization to Isolated Storage in Silverlight - BinaryFormatter vs. sharpSerializer:
    https://www.codeproject.com/Articles/116020/Binary-Serialization-to-Isolated-Storage-in-Silver

SharpSerializer for .NET, Silverlight:
    https://www.nuget.org/packages/SharpSerializer

Best Regards,

Yohann Lu

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, May 9, 2017 5:32 AM
  • My co-worker is using C# and I'm using RemObjects Oxygene.  She has her DataContracts and service and I have mine.  However, the classes are essentially the same.

When we deserialize a LOT of records, 60,000+  (don't ask), I see a 3 second time to deserialize while she sees 40+ seconds.

Any ideas why that might be?

• Edited by Mark Tiede Monday, May 15, 2017 1:47 PM
    Monday, May 15, 2017 1:28 PM

• Hi Mark Tiede,

This is hard to explain. The speed is closely related to technology, logic and some network environment. When our own code cannot meet the performance, you can refer to the use of some high-quality tripartite expansion to achieve the goal.

You may can include all necessary code snippets/message to help us analyze your problem.

Best Regards,

Yohann Lu

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, May 16, 2017 6:32 AM