none
Restoration of Deleted Images from Blob

Question

• Hi ,

Accidently a container is delted from the BLOB which contains folder(with 1000's of images)

Is there any possiblites that we can restore back that images.

Please suggest me at the earliest.

Thanks

Nayeem

Tuesday, June 21, 2016 6:37 AM

All replies

• Hi there,

Unfortunately there is no way to undo deletes. The replica's of your data that exist for high availability also replicatie deletes (very quickly).

There are ways to backup content and the storage API supports a copy method that can transfer data to seperate storage accounts as well. And there are 3rd party backup solutions that could be helpful.

If Microsoft was able to hand you the missing files people would be wondering about security and privacy.

Setting up storage account backups for restoring purposes is not as standard as it probably should be, and I think we will agree that make sense if that was offered as a service just like Azure SQL Database backups etc.

Please mark answered question as anwered to let others know about it.

Tuesday, June 21, 2016 1:03 PM
  • Hi Nayeem,

Sometimes if you're very fast and very lucky, you can file a support call and ask if they can restore your files. It's very difficult from the Microsoft side, but once in a while, they are successful.

As noted by one of the other posts, if you only have one copy of your assets, you might consider backing up your storage account to another storage account on a regular basis. I used to do this using AzCopy (http://aka.ms/azcopy). You can use AzCopy to create a full copy, or an incremental one, where it copies only new and modified files.

I used to perform full backups on Saturdays, and incremental backups (that copy over that first one) throughout the week. (I would use Saturday's date on the containers, so the next week's backup wouldn't overwrite the last week's backup.) This is not a sync -- it doesn't remove any files -- but at least you'll have a backup in case someone deletes something accidentally. 

Robin

Sr. Content Developer at Microsoft

Thursday, June 30, 2016 7:39 PM