none
Can't see OS image WindowsServerCore RRS feed

• Question

• I have accidentally uninstalled the WindowsServerCore image with "docker rmi". I have then reinstalled it, but i can't see it now. With "docker images" I can only see the NanoServer and some other images. With "Get-ContainerImage" I can't see anything, even the NanoServer isn't displayed. 

I have tried to install the WindowsServerCore with "Install-ContainerImage" and with "Install-ContainerOSImage". I can see that the image is stored at "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Images" after I did run the command, but I can't see or use it with docker/powershell commands.

Images which are based on the WindowsServerCore are still working, but I can't create a new image based on the WindowsServerCore image.

I think that the "docker rmi" command messed up something but not removing the image correctly, but I don't know how I can get back the OS image.

Thursday, April 21, 2016 11:41 AM

Answers

• I could resolve the problem now be removing all images which were based on the WindowsServerCore. After that I installed the WindowsServerCore with Install-ContainerImage again. Both docker images and Get-ContainerImage are now returning the NanoServer and the WindowsServerCore.

Friday, April 22, 2016 7:41 AM

All replies

• If you run 'Get-ContainerImage' with PowerShell are both images returned? If so, and if you haven't already done so, try restarting the docker service, 'restart-service docker'.

Let us know how it goes, and we can continue to troubleshoot if needed.

neilp

Thursday, April 21, 2016 3:57 PM
  • Get-ContainerImage returns no result. 

Restarting the docker services makes no difference. The result of docker images stays the same:

REPOSITORY          TAG                 IMAGE ID            CREATED             VIRTUAL SIZE
    nanoserver      10.0.10586.0       8572198a60f1     5 months ago        0 B
    nanoserver            latest              8572198a60f1     5 months ago        0 B

The nanoserver image is only shown with the docker images command but not with the Get-Container command. 

Friday, April 22, 2016 6:07 AM
  • I could resolve the problem now be removing all images which were based on the WindowsServerCore. After that I installed the WindowsServerCore with Install-ContainerImage again. Both docker images and Get-ContainerImage are now returning the NanoServer and the WindowsServerCore.

Friday, April 22, 2016 7:41 AM